Forums » Fallout

Fallout 4 Critical Hits

• 1467 posts
    February 24, 2016 11:41 PM EST

So this isn't a part of the game I've looked into very much, but I recently decided that I might play a Critical Hit build, and to me it seems to be built towards being only viable in VATS, and I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, it means that Critical Hits are a much rarer thing (well until late game) but it also really narrows down how useful creating a character that uses them seems to be. For a player like me who never uses VATS it makes the whole experience...rather shit when compared to earlier games (though better than Skyrim's by far) 

So I'm wondering, what do you think of the new system?

• 1441 posts
    February 24, 2016 11:45 PM EST

I like it, it helps give that extra PUNCH of damage when you need it, and makes it less RNG

• 700 posts
    February 24, 2016 11:57 PM EST

Duuuude, I love critical hits. I think I had a Luck of 7 and a similarly high Agility and I was just rollin on enemies with my Righteous Authority. This is, of course, all dependent on how one feels about VATS. I personally love the new VATS system, so I spend a lot of time in it anyway. I will say this - nothing in this game has satisfied me quite as much as one-shotting a Legendary with a critical hit. Good Legendaries! Not the Radroaches! It's just the right amount of being over-powered. 

• 47 posts
    February 25, 2016 2:47 AM EST

Critical Hits are very good for a Pickman`s Blade or Deliverer build who use VATS and stealth all the time. Outside of VATS  Righteous Autority, Isodoped and Overdrive make a good combo, especially with a BoS or X01 suit. Still, I think Luck and critical hits are meant to be used in VATS.

• 1467 posts
    February 25, 2016 7:32 AM EST
    I can't really stand VATS, even with the new system so I guess that's why I'm not fond of the Crit System. To me, the random chance of it always made sense, every hit has a chance to hit a vital/more damaging spot, but j don't really have that justification anymore.

It's obviously been geared towards Stealth and VATS but personally I think they've just made critical hits from a mechanic that can become overpowered into one o the most overpowered parts of the game but only if you play a specific way...something as universal as a critical hit should be viable for any character (I do expect a Stralth Character to make better use of it tbh, just not to the level of Fallout 4)

On the other hand, I am pumped to try a Stealth - Critical Hit -Luck character, I'm just a little annoyed at how crap it is for my playstyle
    • 739 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:02 AM EST

"I can't really stand VATS, even with the new system so I guess that's why I'm not fond of the Crit System. To me, the random chance of it always made sense, every hit has a chance to hit a vital/more damaging spot, but j don't really have that justification anymore."

Just use Overdrive instead of Luck, that way you still get a random (25%) chance of scoring a critical hit without using VATS. Works really well with some of the Legendary weapons...(Lucky/Instigating/Freezing)

Alternatively...

Just don't use VATS or rely on Crits, all those agility and luck perks you save can be used somewhere else and create something powerful...

• 133 posts
    February 25, 2016 10:26 AM EST
    I gotta say, I like the old-school crit system better. For some reason, it seems more rewarding to me when a random stroke of luck saves my life, almost like I truly am a chosen one, and am fated to defeat enemies a normal man couldn't, if that makes sense.
    • 1467 posts
    February 25, 2016 3:59 PM EST

Just use Overdrive instead of Luck, that way you still get a random (25%) chance of scoring a critical hit without using VATS. Works really well with some of the Legendary weapons...(Lucky/Instigating/Freezing)

Heh, not a fan of Overdrive being the best (only?) way of getting that random chance either, I mean functionally it's awesome and really improves the chance, but it doesn't work with a character that doesn't use Chems (which for me, means the current character I'm playing).

Just don't use VATS or rely on Crits, all those agility and luck perks you save can be used somewhere else and create something powerful...

That's true and it's more or less what I've decided to do (Well, I'm still using Idiot Savant and some of the earlier Luck perks) but really I'm just a little, disappointed in the fact that only a super lucky/chem-high character can even make use of Critical Hits.

• 1467 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:02 PM EST

I get you, Crits are pretty much my all time favorite type of character to run, and this game is probably the only one where I didn't enjoy it. The idea of a random cut or stab dealing extra damage makes so much logical sense to me...

I'll admit though, most games do overpower the use of Crits, take Dragon Age 2 for instance, a Rogue there get more than triple each crit, and eventually I believe can achieve more than %50 chance as well (you could end up with 100% chance from stealth) and while that's ridiculous.