Forums » Fallout

Who is Deacon? (Fallout 4)

• 1441 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:02 PM EST

Note, this will contain possible spoilers for Deacon's conversation. For those of you who do not know, Deacon is one of the Railroad, a rather extreme pro-Synth freedom group. He has a penchant for changing his face. He will initiate at most 3 conversations with you. The first, he claims to be a Synth, even giving you a recall code. You can call him out on this and he says he might be lying. The second, he says he founded the Railroad, along with some others, and that he's over forty years old, somewhere in his seventies I think. Again, you call say that's BS, and once again, he says he might be lying. The third time you do this, he says he's had to for awhile now, that its part of his job. 

Now, my question to you all is, do you believe he's lying? In any of his statements I mean, his backstories as it is. Him being a synth could allow him to found the Railroad, as Synths generally don't tend to age. What do you guys believe? Is Deacon a Synth? Is he almost a hundred? Or is he one big phony?

• 404 posts
    February 4, 2016 3:16 PM EST

I think he might be a great Spy since he changes his face a lot. the whole Synth thing doesn't sound to farfetched

• 134 posts
    February 4, 2016 4:23 PM EST

When you say his 'recall phrase' he just laughs which throws one off the synth scent... but is that a diversion? I don't think the almost a hundred thing is true... his level of ability would only make sense if he was an older synth; problem is, the Broken Mask thing in Diamond City happened in 2229 and was a prototype that failed. From that, it's safe to assume a proper Gen 3 like H2 wouldn't appear until later, so assuming they perfect the model only 5 years later he would only be 53 at most (if he is a synth at all).

He cares a lot about the Railroad, and since their history is pretty much unknown it's still a possibility that he could be a founder. In 2277 they only send one member to monitor the Capital Wasteland, suggesting at that point they are still somewhat weak, so Deacon founding it slightly earlier isn't impossible.

TL;DR --> Almost 100? Nah. Synth? Possibly. Founder? In my books, somewhat likely.

• 1441 posts
    February 4, 2016 8:37 PM EST

All good points, plus, laughing at certain things could mean a person is hiding something

• 41 posts
    February 5, 2016 1:16 AM EST
    According to wiki, deacon ran with an anti synth gang originally. Then married a synth. Then the gang killed her and he killed them... Then bang, the railroad came to him and got him as a buddy, not knowing he used to be with the gang.
    • 1441 posts
    February 5, 2016 1:26 AM EST

I think that was tbe third thing he tells you

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 10, 2016 12:34 PM EST

[Fallout 4 spoilers]

If companions weren't essential, we could simply shoot him in the head to find out.

• 1441 posts
    February 10, 2016 12:44 PM EST

(F04 Spoilers)

Well, you can kill him, if you side with the Institute, and I think the BoS

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 10, 2016 12:49 PM EST

Remember to warn people of spoilers, Chris.

But yes, I don't remember what happens once you do that. Does he drop that synth component all synths have in their head?

• 1441 posts
    February 10, 2016 12:52 PM EST

Hmm, it's been awhile, but I think he might.