Forums » General Gaming

Indie Games

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 1:13 AM EST

I don't know what it is about indie games, but every new one I play tends to blow me away. I just recently played the Journey PS4 port, for example. It is a one-of-a-kind game and I'd be extremely surprised if there is any other game like it. Fallout 4 on the other hand was a little fun for a little while. These are just my opinions; if you disagree, then why not comment about it. I'd like to see what you have to say.

I feel that since indie devs don't have as much of a platform as bigger devs, they have to experiment a little bit. Indie devs can't just create another generic Call of Duty-esque game and expect it to do well, you know?

This isn't a AAA game dev hate thread, I just want to point out the awesome fact that every year teams consisting of a handful of people create games that are just as good as games created by hundreds of people. Maybe you can tell me what you prefer: Triple A or indie? Also, if there are any awesome indie devs that you would like to shout out, then do so; they could probably use the exposure. I'd personally like to shout out Supergiant Games. They make very unique and artistic games that no one should pass up.

Sorry if anyone has posted something like this before, it has just been too long since I've contributed to this site.

• 1441 posts
    January 18, 2016 1:29 AM EST
    I love almost all indie and AAA games I play. Currently playing Papers Please, and thinking of getting Shovel Knight in the near future
    • 288 posts
    January 18, 2016 2:36 AM EST

How do you define "indie", I wonder.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 18, 2016 3:33 AM EST

Banished is the last great indie game I bought. I don't purchase video games very often and I won't unless it's really cheap (Banished was $20 when it came out). I think $60 for the games they put out now is utter robbery for the garbage they give you. It's pretty looking garbage for sure, I'll admit that.

Y'know what the last game I paid $60 bucks for? (Well, $55 cause previously owned but I wonder how much Gamestop gave the first guy). Skyrim. And it was worth it.

Game after that? Mass Effect trilogy for $45. Worth it to me. Sat down and played through all three.

My recent games? Morrowind for $10, Age of Empires HD with 3 expansions for $12 or $13. Absolutely worth it.

I don't think they make very good video games anymore. I get excited for some, I read up on them, but when it comes out we learn what garbage we're sold. It looks great. Gameplay looks fun. But everything is always half-assed it seems. Then they want micro transactions for content that seven years ago would've been included with the game.

Y'know what? I love indie games. Usually the best damn game makers out there. The big names and corporations want to beat their dead horses for profit by screwing us and suckering in morons. Screw 'em. Buy indie.

Banished? Looks old. Gameplay is fun. It isn't the best game. It isn't the most exciting game. It's just a village simulator. But it's damn fun and worth it. A great modding community to it. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys town building and resource management games.

• 321 posts
    January 18, 2016 3:41 AM EST

I really haven't bought any indie games lately. (I dunno if Rust counts as an Indie)

But what I am interested in, is Stanley Parable. I just love games with a twist in the ending.

• 122 posts
    January 18, 2016 4:05 AM EST
    Bastion ♡♡♡

I must agree with you on the one of a kind thing. Most Indie games I've played leave a lasting impression that can't be imitated any way else. The fact that they're usually made by small yet dedicated dev teams have a hand in that. I appreciate the effort more than the product. That's why I'll never pirate an indie game. Take Bastion. It was the first game I ever truly mastered and the first where I could feel myself improve. I could experience firsthand struggling up the learning curve and that felt great. To say nothing of the game's narrative and ending...

I can sum up that I'd prefer to play indie games when I want to feel something. To have a meaningful playthrough is usually an indie game's forte. Big budget AAA games, on the other hand, are for when I want to just...have fun and don't give a damn. When I load up DmC, for example, I won't care if people say it's a failed Devil May Cry installment. If it's fun to play, I'm there to stay!

Gollum, have you played Transistor? Another Supergiant game, haven't played it personally. I'd like your thoughts on it.
    • 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 12:20 PM EST

My brother used to talk about Shovel Knight all the time. It looks pretty cool and I hope to get it eventually.

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 12:24 PM EST

I'm not really sure myself. I would most definitely count it indie if it used Kickstarter or something similar to fund it.

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 12:28 PM EST

Yeah, I've never seen an indie have micro-transactions (unless it was a mobile game). I also think sixty bucks is a rip off for most games on the market nowadays (not including all of the season pass bullcrap, which is awful business practice imo).

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 12:56 PM EST

I actually played Transistor first, because it was ported to PS4 before Bastion and it was one of the two free games of the month on PSN. I had never heard anything about it at the time and I thought it looked stupid, but it was free and I thought, "why not?".

I had previously never played any other indies and it opened up another side of gaming for me I never thought existed. I really liked it (I liked it so much I got all of the trophies for it, which I have never done on any other game yet). I liked it more than Bastion ( though most people seem to like Bastion better). The story is intriguing, even if you have to dig for it a little, and the combat takes a more tactical approach. There's actually some creepy symbolism in the artwork, which adds to the atmosphere brilliantly. It feels like you're getting watched everywhere you go. I also like the soundtrack better...

The narrator doesn't really "narrate" as much as he did in Bastion. It's more of him just talking to you. Bastion felt more of like a story, while Transistor... doesn't. It's not a bad thing at all, just different. If you have a Dualshock 4 controller, you can have the narrators voice come out of the controller, which has to be the best use of the speaker yet. Overall I have to give the edge to Transistor between the two; Transistor is probably my favorite game in general.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 18, 2016 7:30 PM EST

I hear the argument that $60 bucks isn't a lot for entertainment these days compared to other hobbies out there, but... I still can't justify paying $60 bucks for most games. They just aren't worth in my eyes.

Then again, I think most fast food joints aren't worth the price they charge. $3.99 for a whopper (just the sandwhich)? Hell no. I'll wait until I get a coupon and get two for $3.99.

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 10:07 PM EST

I can't justify paying that much for most games, either. I swear, I've made some of the dumbest decisions buying games this past year, screw AAA. I paid full retail on ESO, which is repetitive and boring; I have it deleted now. And yeah, you can say whatever you want on this next one: I bought the "Digital Deluxe Edition" Black Ops 3... One hundred dollar garbage. I only play this with my school friends sometimes. That's 160 bucks wasted... Fucking buyer's remorse.

• 558 posts
    May 17, 2016 3:42 PM EDT
    Supergiant games is creating a new game called Pyre, set to be released in 2017. It's apparently going to be an rpg this time.