Forums » The Lounge

Who Is Your Favorite Historical Figure?

• 558 posts
    November 30, 2015 11:07 PM EST

It could be anyone, Joan of Arc, Davy Crockett, George Orwell, Louis XIV, Socrates, etc. History is full of notable people. Who is your favorite?

For me, it has to be Vlad the Impaler. Not only for his cruelty towards enemy hostages (it's fascinating), but how he came back from being a hostage in the Ottoman Empire to becoming one of the most feared leaders in history.

Who is your favorite historical figure? And why? Tell us down in the comments (And don't worry about blowing up the thread with a long response!).

• 743 posts
    November 30, 2015 11:12 PM EST
    William Wallace. That man was extremely smart both war-wise and book wise. Also, who can argue with FREEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOMMMMMMMMMM?
    • 411 posts
    November 30, 2015 11:18 PM EST
    Me
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 1, 2015 11:23 AM EST

FREEEEEDDDDOOOOMM!

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    December 1, 2015 11:26 AM EST

What, this is impossible to answer. There are too many people I either admire or find fascinating/like to read about. Roman generals alone there must be at least seven I like (Aetius, Agrippa, Pompey and his son Sextus, Stilicho, Caesar and Belisarius (Yes, Byzantine and all, but I still see him as a "roman" general).

A philosopher? Locke.

But, above all, I like Nerevar.

• 1441 posts
    December 1, 2015 12:32 PM EST

Don't forget him believing he was the Archangel Michael.

Anyway, Julius Caesar, TEDDY ROOSEVELT (Manliest American President), Abraham Lincoln (2nd manliest), Scippio Africanus (Roman General) H.P. Lovecraft (Love his work), Jesus, hmm...

• 1441 posts
    December 1, 2015 12:34 PM EST

Oh, and don't forget Ernest Hemmingway, because of this video 

• 404 posts
    December 1, 2015 12:36 PM EST
    Julius Caesar was also a prisoner and ended up ruling until his death. He was pretty cool. I would also love to meet Teddy Roosevelt and FDR. George Washington would also be cool to talk to.
    • 1441 posts
    December 1, 2015 12:40 PM EST

• 404 posts
    December 1, 2015 12:43 PM EST
    Lol
    • 271 posts
    December 1, 2015 2:29 PM EST

As the  history-nut I am when it comes to Swedish history, I got to say Gustavus Adolphus (1594 - 1632). An heroic warrior-king that pretty much put Sweden on the world map.

• 273 posts
    December 1, 2015 3:47 PM EST

Alexander the Great, just because he didn't sit on his arse whilst his troops were fighting and fought on the front lines. 

• 743 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:50 PM EST
    Alexander the Great is definitely my third favorite.
    • 558 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:53 PM EST

Yep, Teddy is a close second.

• 558 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:54 PM EST

I'll have to research him, he sounds badass.

• 558 posts
    December 1, 2015 4:57 PM EST

Great picks, everyone.

• 743 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:00 PM EST
    By the way, really cool thread Gollum.
    • 558 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:04 PM EST

Thanks. After hearing about Ben C's ban, I wanted to pick up where he left off as far as forum posting.

Don't get the wrong idea, though. I like history just as much as any other history buff!

• 133 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:08 PM EST
    Difficult to say, there's several historical figures I admire for intelligence, innovation, out the box thinking or great deeds.

There are others who are just fascinating, for whatever reason.

The TV show 'Vikings' has got me interested in European history. Most obviously the sagas of Ragnar Lothbrook, his family and his sons. That entire time period is full of mystery as many accounts of those times were destroyed so we know so little. It would be awesome to meet people of that time.
    • 641 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:22 PM EST

There is a lot but I am really interested in John Maclean 

• 177 posts
    December 1, 2015 5:24 PM EST

Hmmmmm, this is a super duper hard question! I am a huge history nerd, and there are so many figures I find interesting, though some of them were horrible horrible people.

First off I would say Musahsi! He is fascinating, as he went from a wandering kid to the best duelist in history! I doooooo practice his form of sword fighting though, so I may be a bit biased! Next I would have to say Confucius. His wisdom was so beyond his time, and I find it facinating how his teaching are still around today! Another figure I find interesting, though I despise his viewpoint and all the suffering he caused, is Adolf Hitler. The man was a psychopath  but he went from an impoverished painter to the ruler of almost all of Europe in several short years. He was a racist, homophobic overall bigot, but he is very interesting! Another is Jon of Arc because, to put it simply, I like a woman who can kick ass! Annnnnd the fact that she was able to do anything in that time period, being a woman, is just amazing! Along those same lines, I also admire Nakano Takeko, as she died for her clan and was an overall skilled individual! I find Elanor Roosevelt interesting, for her role in the UN and many many other things! There are so many many many more figures in history I find interesting including, Lenin, Billy the Kid, Queen Mary, Susan B. Anthony, Alice Paul and many many more! I would love to explain why I find them all so interesting, but I don't want to blow up your thread!  

• 1441 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:09 PM EST

Oh yeah, Miyamoto Musashi, he was awesome. Masamune is one of my favorite smiths, because he is referenced so much, and I love his work

• 743 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:24 PM EST
    Glad to see you're carrying on his work! Forum posts like this are one of the reasons I love this site so much.
    • 743 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:27 PM EST
    Actually, he'd have to be my fourth favorite. Doc Holiday deserves the number three slot.
    • 1441 posts
    December 1, 2015 6:36 PM EST

I much prefer Wyatt Eerp, but the Doc is up there