Forums » Fallout

What Would You Do If The Bomb Fell?

• 641 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:00 PM EST

If you were at home and a news flash came on telly saying nuclear bombs were launched at your country and would make impact within the 15 minutes what would you do? For this instance we will say the bombs aren't going to land directly where you stay so you will survive the initial detonation.

• 411 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:05 PM EST

I would hide in my basement. Or if vaults Exist i would sneak into a vault assuming im not on the list.

• 177 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:13 PM EST

Well...it would all depend on were the bombs hit. If (mainly my mom's side) of my family was safe, and most of my friends were alive, I would try to regroup with them and hide. Somewhere remote, somewhere away from the radiation and psychopathic looters soon to follow. If they were gone, I would (assuming I knew they existed) look for some groups like The Enclave, or the Brotherhood of Steel, preferably The Enclave. Even though they may shoot me on sight...it's still worth a shot!  If neither of those worked...well this is going to be a real downer but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_pill

• 404 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:17 PM EST
    If it will be like what Fallout series had for my State, most likely I would be screwed. I am from the Great Plains state of Oklahoma.
    • 1217 posts
    November 27, 2015 4:57 PM EST
    Learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
    • 641 posts
    November 27, 2015 6:03 PM EST

Gonna form your own Church of the Atom?

• 122 posts
    November 27, 2015 6:27 PM EST
    Take my camera and get myself a once-in-a-lifetime selfie with a mushroom cloud.
    • 1913 posts
    November 27, 2015 6:58 PM EST

Seeing as I wouldn't go into a vault I'd either:

A. Die

Or

B. Ghoulification...

• 404 posts
    November 27, 2015 7:11 PM EST
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 27, 2015 7:53 PM EST

Well, I'd obviously sit on the roof and pray to be ghoulified. I have a chance, no way the bombs would be falling in my town, it's a small place. But the radiation would surely get to us eventually, considering there is one or two important cities near me, so I hope it would provide just the right amount of radiation not to kill me but to turn me into a ghoul.

After that, well... I'd stay where I am. No way I'd be going north, there's no telling what kind of effect radiation had on freaking Amazônia. There are uncatalogued species up there, plus a nasty kind of spider ("Armadeira"). But realistically speaking, I doubt Brazil would be bombed, unless we go even more crazy and make even more poor decisions by deciding we're fit for war.

• 404 posts
    November 27, 2015 8:02 PM EST

personally if we have the tech I rather be sent to the future

• 71 posts
    November 27, 2015 9:06 PM EST

Well, the closest major cities to my village are about an hour each way. And these are Canadian major cities, like Hamilton, so I don't even know if I'd be ghoulified, given that no bombs would drop anywhere near me. If that was the case, and I did survive with my village mostly intact, I'd get to work turning it into something like Woodbury in TWD, except, you know, I wouldn't be a homicidal psychopath of a leader. The most important thing would be to find a non-contaminated water and food source, and to put up walls to protect against raiders and gangs. Then I'd let it function as a haven for wanderers and misfits of the wastes. I don't think I'd be off too badly.  

• T
    • 32 posts
    November 28, 2015 6:02 AM EST

Assuming I'd survive the initial detonation, I'd start by closing every window, shutting down the vents, etcetera. That'll take me three minutes. Then I'd use the few minutes I have left to gather some food; there's a store two minutes from home so if I act quickly I can probably get some canned food. Provided that the bomb doesn't hit one of the three main water supplies in my area, I could probably live for a few years without having to go outside, exposing myself to the radiation. Boredom could be a problem, but I've got plenty of books. Main thing to keep in mind is to wash your hands before you touch food, because while most radiation cannot pass through your skin and muscles, if you ingest it you will get cancer in your stomach. You don't want cancer in your intestines, it's not curable. Well... that's my plan.

• 641 posts
    November 28, 2015 6:30 AM EST

Do you guys think it's not possible to survive without getting in a vault or being ghoulified? Personally I've always wanted to play a Fallout game that was set in the actual fallout of the first detonation instead of years later. 

• 557 posts
    November 28, 2015 7:25 AM EST

That's a good question, and a tough one to answer... 

My town, though it's small, does have a nuclear reactor near it - making it prime target for a nuclear blast. Because of the radiation that would inevitably flood my town, I would either die or turn into a ghoul. 

If I was able to survive the initial blasts - even though I would be rather ghoulish - I would look for survivors and try to find a radiation-free area to set up a small settlement. I'd likely attempt to set up trade routes with anyone else nearby as well, because we'd need to work together to survive!

• 641 posts
    November 28, 2015 7:57 AM EST

How long does it actually take for someone to turn in to a ghoul? If that did happen to you would you specifically search out other ghouls to trade with or would you take the chance that the humans wouldn't kill you on sight?

• 557 posts
    November 28, 2015 8:33 AM EST

I'm not entirely sure, but I imagine the genetic mutation would be almost instant - it just takes time for your body to deteriorate. 

I'd probably trade with only ghouls until I was stable enough or had enough artillery built up that I could trade with normal humans.

• 627 posts
    November 28, 2015 8:38 AM EST

You could always end up feral.

• 557 posts
    November 28, 2015 8:41 AM EST

Let's hope not 

• 490 posts
    November 28, 2015 10:00 AM EST
    Just hide in a fridge.
    • 641 posts
    November 28, 2015 12:11 PM EST

Yeah Indiana Jones knows whats up 

• 1 posts
    December 11, 2015 10:07 PM EST
    Run into the mushroom cloud. No regrets!!!
    • 7 posts
    December 12, 2015 1:19 AM EST

I'd start screaming "I told So, I fucking to you so!" and run for the mountains in Unicoi County, Tn.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 12, 2015 1:53 AM EST

Ah.

Move to fucking Canada. It's like an hour's drive.

Boom problem solved.

• 177 posts
    December 12, 2015 2:00 AM EST

But...In Fallout lore Canada IS America! Boom still a problem!