Forums » Fallout

Did ya hear about V.A.T.S

• 1467 posts
    November 10, 2015 8:42 PM EST

Well I've recently been playing some Fallout 3, and I've heard that the series is kind of popular at the moment, so I figured this would be a nice, good question to ask all fans of the series. 

How often do you use V.A.T.S

Personally, I hate the damn thing, maybe on higher difficulties (first time playing is always on standard/normal) it's useful but for me it just feels really cheap. I can aim a gun just fine than you, and I don't need any time stopping, slow motion bull crap to kill an enemy.

• 627 posts
    November 10, 2015 9:03 PM EST

I haven't used it at all on my most recent playthroughs, since with melee weapons you can't target individual parts of the body so it doesn't change much from just swinging whatever I have in my hands around 

• 1441 posts
    November 10, 2015 9:39 PM EST

I kind of like the Slow Time sort of deal, and it helps me plan and get criticals more

• 1467 posts
    November 10, 2015 10:30 PM EST

I have no problems scoring crits. I kill about 80% of enemies with Headshots these days (with just about any weapon, Snipers, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols, you name it I can headshot with it). I just don't think Fallout's combat is difficult enough to justify a slowing of time in 4, and time completly stopping in 3 and NV. I get they want to make a throwback to the older games, but really they made it too OP (I still have never run out of AP or whatever it is) 

• 627 posts
    November 10, 2015 11:02 PM EST

*Spoiler* Does this count as a spoiler? From what I've seen of 4, the ghouls swarm and that may be the same for other enemies, so I can see the slowing being helpful in those cases.

• 1467 posts
    November 11, 2015 12:51 AM EST

That's fine as far as I'm concerned in terms of spoilers.

I guess it might be useful then, but not completely necessary. Any Semi-Automatic Weapon or Shotgun would operate just as effectively against swarms as any other enemy.

Oh and from what I've seen of Todd's Stream, most enemies don't really seem to swarm, just Ghouls and Insects (though I think I've missed just about everything except Todd walking through the Wastes. Another of my many talents 

• 627 posts
    November 11, 2015 1:06 AM EST

Eh, it probably wont matter to me either way since i plan on using a melee weapon as my primary weapon for my first playthrough 

• 1467 posts
    November 11, 2015 2:06 AM EST

I'll either go Shotgun or Unarmed...Depends how viable unarmed is

• 1595 posts
    November 11, 2015 3:52 AM EST

VATS gave us the Mysterious Stranger so it's hard not to dislike that

• 649 posts
    November 11, 2015 3:55 AM EST

Don´t use it. At all. Maybe sometimes when I need to find enemy, I use the VATS and it points me in their direction.

• 288 posts
    November 11, 2015 4:09 AM EST

Nope, the stranger was a perk in F1 and F2 too and had nothing to do with VATS there.

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    November 11, 2015 1:01 PM EST

I use it against tough enemies (I'm looking at you Deathclaw that stomped me into the ground yesterday) and I use it when I am using a shotgun. Am I the only one that really enjoys watching enemies explode in slow motion?  But with my builds my AP are usually pretty low. I admit that I am terrible at aiming a gun.....haha....especially when a Deathclaw is running at me. I should be hiding in a Vault.... 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 11, 2015 4:44 PM EST

I try to avoid using it. That was true in Fallout 3, more in New Vegas, and it is almost a constant in Fallout 4 with the improved gunplay, though I sometimes use it because I like the new slow time feature that comes with it or, as Jen said, when things like Deathclaws burst out of the ground (and those damn mosquitoes!)

• 1467 posts
    November 11, 2015 6:52 PM EST

I always enjoy watching enemies explode, it's the greatest fun out there (luckily 3 makes it harder for Shotgun toting DB not do explode everyone) 

I've managed to get through so far without meeting one of these Deathclaws but who knows, maybe it'll prove me wrong. My Battle Ender at the moment is my good old Fat Boy, blowing shit up with the power of a tiny nuke. 

• 1467 posts
    November 11, 2015 6:54 PM EST

Now that just seem cheap  Half the fun of Fallout is being surprised at an enemy randomly appearing behind you, especially after you scouted the entire area, killed everything and have nearly max perception...

I can definetly understand that, the amount of times I've  been snuck up on by a Super Mutant (yeah...the big green, ugly SOB's) and smacked with a melee weapon is more than I'd like to count. 

• 1 posts
    November 11, 2015 10:18 PM EST

I use it often. My aim leaves much to be desired, tsk tsk.

• 1467 posts
    November 12, 2015 12:54 AM EST

Makes sense, I'm fairly used to playing mid-long range in FPS' (the few that I play) so walking into Fallout 3, where everything moves pretty slow makes it feel like a walk in the park.

• 649 posts
    November 12, 2015 3:40 AM EST

Well, VATS in Fallout 4 doesn´t find enemy that´s behind you, it just targets the one that is somewhere in front of you.

But you still get surprised a lot. Enemies usually flank you from all sides, Mole-rats and Radscorpions emerge from the ground and stuff like that. I would say that VATS can be quite useful against fast enemies like dogs and mole-rats.