Forums » General Gaming

'Souls' Games

• 268 posts
    April 26, 2016 1:38 PM EDT

Probably because katanas were OP in DS2, especially the Chaos Blade...

Western Gamers: We want a Chaos Blade nerf, it's too powerful...

From Software: Oh, you want nippon steel buff? OK!

Western Gamers: We said nerf, not buff! *grumble at inevitable Japanese favouritism for katanas*

I'm loving the Uchi, got that thing at +4 and sharp and it's doing me fine in the early game. The swing speed also feels much faster than in DS2, where it was slow as hell. Looking forward to Onikiri and Ubadachi in Grand Archives, gonna need to aim for a Quality (Refined?) build for that point.

• 275 posts
    April 26, 2016 4:16 PM EDT
    What about Pyromancy, would it even exist in an age of dark?
    • 268 posts
    April 26, 2016 4:31 PM EDT
    Not sure, we know practically nothing about the Age of Dark, since it's not really present in any souls games. Pyromancy came from the Witch of Izalith (well, fire sorcery to be accurate, pyromancy is what was left/passed on by her daughters), who probably got it from her life lord soul she found.
    • 558 posts
    April 26, 2016 9:17 PM EDT

I think I know another reason it feels so nerfed. The Dark Sword.

I had heard so much about it and since I was playing a refined build I just had to get it to +10. 

The Dark Sword has a couple good attacks, the best being one handed r1's. It out damages my Chaos Blade and Refined Greatlance and swings much faster. It's good in both PvE and PvP. The Dark Sword a monster. 

• 268 posts
    April 27, 2016 2:41 AM EDT

Yeah, that thing is crazy regardless of the infusion it seems, though Heavy and Refined seem like the worst offenders. Heavy in particular, it only requires 40 strength so Dark Sword spammers can put a ton of points into Vigour and Endurance, or pick up a buff as well!

• 273 posts
    April 27, 2016 3:08 PM EDT

Dragonslayer Armor is kicking my ass back into Demon Souls.

• 268 posts
    April 27, 2016 3:12 PM EDT

Damn, I'm really looking forward to all these late game bosses!

Sounds like Pontiff, Nameless King, Dragonslayer Armour, and various others can be quite the challenge... But I'm way too busy doing my low level PVP! Thinking of maxing out Watchdogs and the police while I can, since people say they struggle with these at higher levels. May even try to pick up my remaining vertebra shackles and pale tongues just to say I've done it, and strike while the noobs are still fresh!

I'm such a dirty invader...

• 273 posts
    April 27, 2016 3:14 PM EDT

Sounds fun, I wish I could do PVP, but when I rage I RAGE...

Pontiff wasn't too much of a challenge, the Nameless King I haven't reached yet, but the Dragonslayer Armor is Super Ornstein on bloody steriods.

• 275 posts
    April 27, 2016 3:19 PM EDT
    Anyone know if FROM is working on another Souls game? I know Dark Souls is probably over but are they working on another project, Bloodborne 2 perhaps?
    • 268 posts
    April 27, 2016 4:23 PM EDT
    They're probably working on DS3 DLC at the moment. In the future though, Miyazaki had said there will be no more Dark Souls but he was interested in working on a sci-fi souls kind of game (which would be awesome). From Soft still owe Sony an exclusive too (Sony got a deal for 3 exclusives, Demons Souls, Bloodborne, and one more, which could be Bloodborne 2).
    • 558 posts
    April 27, 2016 9:46 PM EDT
    Dragonslayer Armor is probably my favorite boss in the game. I didn't struggle with Dragonslayer Armor that much. I found Pontiff and especially the Nameless King much harder.

Is it just me or does DS3 feel rather linear?
    • 268 posts
    April 28, 2016 2:21 AM EDT

I was thinking it was feeling a bit linear, it just seems to be following one straight path with maybe one or two offshoot areas... Though DS2 was also a tad linear, it was always just kill each Lord Soul and that had you going down the same four paths... Ultimately it was only DS1 that really had the non-linearity.

• 275 posts
    April 28, 2016 3:17 PM EDT
    Yet it's still so damn fun. FROM SOFTWARE really know how to make NG+ good.
    • 273 posts
    April 29, 2016 4:27 PM EDT

New Game Plus, bitches! 

• 275 posts
    May 1, 2016 12:35 PM EDT
    Is it me or does the Ashen one always look like he's burning?
    • 268 posts
    May 1, 2016 4:58 PM EDT
    That's the Embered effect, when you pop an Ember you gain more health, have access to multiplayer, and get those cool ember physics.
    • 275 posts
    May 1, 2016 5:57 PM EDT
    Kinda like humanity?
    • 273 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:48 PM EDT

Essentially, except better because of the health buff.

• 268 posts
    May 2, 2016 7:30 AM EDT

Beat Pontiff second try. Damn, what a good fight! He's so like Fume Knight, it's awesome.

Died the first time after only getting him down by like 25%, then he kicked my ass in some crazy combo. Was sort of expecting an "I am not left handed" move, but was not expecting him to split on that second form! That was a wicked idea, nice that his shade has its own health bar. They synergise so well too! They play a bit more defensive and the shade will copy Pontiff and guard his back.

Irithyll seemed like a massive difficulty spike too, I found basically every boss and area before it to be rather easy. Hopefully this keeps up.

• 273 posts
    May 2, 2016 8:39 AM EDT

Irithyll was hell when I first arrived... Those Fire Witches make it hard to focus on anything else. 

• 268 posts
    May 2, 2016 9:36 AM EDT

They were crazy! I seriously could not cope with their attacks, had to snipe them at range with headshot cheese, I was just glad there were only like four in the whole level.

• 273 posts
    May 2, 2016 9:45 AM EDT

I swear the spider things in the sewer passage in Irithyll are the stuff of nightmares, I nearly cried when I found Greirat's Ashes down there... 

• 268 posts
    May 2, 2016 10:37 AM EDT

That's harsh man... I luckily knew how to prevent his death, had Siegbro hanging out in the kitchen above, Greirat comes back saying how he was saved by the Onion.

Also, Patches can save him too if he has the Onion set still on him - another cool little thing, though I believe Siegward's questline fails if you leave him in the well that long.

Now if I could get Greirat to survive Lothric Castle... Then that would be awesome. Nobody's found a way to do that, as far as I know, though there is some speculation (I just don't have the time to test, which sucks).

• 273 posts
    May 2, 2016 1:43 PM EDT

Best of luck, I wish I could have kept him alive... Anri I don't mind killing so much because the Dark Lord ending so badass!

• 558 posts
    May 2, 2016 1:56 PM EDT

Good luck preventing Seigward from dying later on. He died within the first few seconds of a certain boss. Total B.S., now there's no way to get his armor.