Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is No Stone Unturned worth it, in your opinion?

• 83 posts
    October 16, 2015 9:51 AM EDT

BTW, I also have this discussion on GameFAQs, but I want it here, also.

I have recently created a new Argonian thief/assassin, and he has recently become Guildmaster of the Thieves' Guild.

However, I thought about not even starting No Stone Unturned, because I once did that quest during a Victor Zsasz RP, and he became obscenely wealthy (so much so it turned into a gamebreaker.)

My Argonian "Efficiency Expert" (he searches for the most efficient way to get kills without being spotted; his Nightingale Bow and his being Agent of Subterfuge have become his best friends) has become Guildmaster of the Thieves' Guild (and he is level 24); he is just about to enter the Dark Brotherhood.

I believe when my Zsasz RP began No Stone Unturned, he was about the same level, and I prefer to keep my "Efficiency Expert" hungry (it will help keep his skills up, BTW.)

And before you ask, no, the dragons are not yet even involved.

• October 16, 2015 10:00 AM EDT

I never do that quest since the only faction I hate more than the Thieves Guild is the Dawnguard. And I still end up extremely wealthy, so a few extra gems won't really make much of a difference. And if you do have a lot of money to burn just spend it all on buying Grand Soul gems to give as gifts to followers. I do it the other way around though, I use my money to buy a bunch of Black Soul gems and give followers souls as gifts to my soul gems. Then I name a weapon after them and place them on display >:) 

Buuuut... I've been told I'm a borderline sociopath.

• T
    • 32 posts
    October 16, 2015 10:19 AM EDT

It really depends. Just look at your previous characters;
    If most of your characters reach level 60, or if at least the passive ones (with more thievery, exploration, than fighting) do reach that level, it's worth it. 
    Problem is that by simply levelling speech a bit, or by making some expensive potions, you can earn just as much.

• 288 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:16 AM EDT

If your main playstyle is being a thief, it's not only worth it, it's mandatory.

If not, then it's more of a chore. I, for example, have never done it in almost 4 years of playing, because my main playstyle is that of a warrior.

• 649 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:19 AM EDT

My favourite style is a thief and I have never completed that quest. I find it too tiresome. 

• 288 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:20 AM EDT

I condemn you, then

• 649 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:22 AM EDT

Two-handed condemnation? 

• 411 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
    Thieves can use two handed
    • 288 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:38 AM EDT

That's the only way I'll ever play a thief......wait, that's an idea: The Thief with the greatsword

• 649 posts
    October 16, 2015 11:51 AM EDT

Are you trying to tell me that the Mighty Two-handed Overhate version 2.0 with an upgrade, haven´t played a thief with the greatsword yet? 

• 773 posts
    October 16, 2015 1:07 PM EDT

Is the only reason to do No Stone Unturned for the money?

To be honest, you can get loads of dosh from all sorts of places in Skyrim, certainly to the point where it isn't an issue. The point about No Stone Unturned isn't money IMO, but the sense of 'completion' that you get from traipsing all over Skyrim finding the gems, some of which are fiendishly hard to find without spoilers

I must admit I've never completed it, even though I've tried. Usually I miss one, and can't be bothered going all the way back to find it!

• 96 posts
    October 16, 2015 1:55 PM EDT
    It can be very nice for some Spider-Scroll based builds, because you need gems to craft those spiders. And its good to lvl smithing.
    • 96 posts
    October 16, 2015 2:04 PM EDT
    @Jake Johnson: The Nightingale Bow isnt very stealthy. Read this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingale_Bow // Look at the bug-list.
    • 288 posts
    October 16, 2015 3:25 PM EDT

Well, I've played warriors, even barbarians, that joined the Thieves Guild, but never a pure thief with a greatsword. Shame on me

• 457 posts
    October 16, 2015 6:19 PM EDT

I quite enjoy incorporating it into my thief playthroughs. Do a Thieves Guild quest, then take on some adventuring on the side and grab a couple of those Unusual Gems. I found it a nice way to add a little variety to my thief characters.

It's true that Prowler's Profit nets you a TON of jewels; however, I have rarely completed No Stone Unturned until well past level 20 or so, and for a thief, money really isn't that much of an issue by then. Still, there is a sense of accomplishment, and you can always choose to dump all the jewels you find in a secret room and watch them quickly pile up (or use them as "bullets" with Telekinesis... it sounds weird, but is a lot of fun xD).

• 83 posts
    October 17, 2015 7:38 AM EDT

Relycs, based on what you are telling me about the Nightingale Bow's flaws, what bow would you recommend?

BTW, I am willing to grind my blacksmithing skill to 70 to be able to make a Glass Bow, if necessary.

• 7 posts
    January 30, 2016 2:40 PM EST

really worth the trouble, i can found about 10 gems and 6 flawless gem only from bleak falls barrow after i finish this quest XD

• 237 posts
    January 30, 2016 3:10 PM EST

I used it for role-playing reasons when playing Teccam's Crystallurgist build, tweaked slightly to allow for Smithing!  I never forged a single item (other than for Hearthfire) that didn't have a gemstone in it while training to reach my glass armor.  And yeah, it took me a really long time to get all those gems...

• 457 posts
    January 30, 2016 3:14 PM EST

You know, just the prowls to get the gems make it worth it... that's a lot of adventuring! If you look at it like that, rather than as a checklist of places to cross off as quickly as possible, it's pretty sweet :D

• 237 posts
    January 30, 2016 4:46 PM EST
    Exactly! Librari the Crystallurgist had a goal in mind as he 'followed his nose', but the adventure he had along the way really defined him as a character in ways I didn't plan for! Like becoming a prominent member of the Solitude citizenry, and especially marrying Brelyna. And I got to explore some caves I had never seen before.
    • 312 posts
    March 5, 2016 11:50 AM EST

Suuuuper late to this discussion, but I do it on my "hoarders" who enjoy having massive piles on non-gold riches to count. xD