Forums » Fallout

Would You Read A Fallout Novel?

• 641 posts
    October 10, 2015 2:55 PM EDT

Would you read a book set in the Fallout universe? If so where and when would you like it to be set?

Considering how large the universe is I'm surprised there is no novels set in the Fallout universe (heck I'm still surprised there is only two Elder Scrolls novels). 

• 177 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:00 PM EDT

I would totally read a Fallout novel! I love the lore of the series, and I also love a good book! I would like to see it set Fallout 2 or Fallout New Vegas time and location, though I would read it no matter were it was set! 

• 288 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:04 PM EDT

No. But then again I wouldn't read any novel, based on a game. I wouldn't read a ES novel, I wouldn't read a Warcraft novel, I wouldn't read a Mass Effect novel.....you get the idea

• 641 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:08 PM EDT

But... why?

• 288 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:18 PM EDT

Because games are games and books are books.

The idea of books is to read whatever the writer wanted to say. The story is fixed, the ending is fixed, you experience it without any control over it. Others are the heroes, you are just a side observer. In games and especially in RPGs the player has control, the player is the hero, the player decides what to happen in many situations.

In this aspect, for me books written in game universes are an insult to the player, treating him like a fanboy, milking him for cash. Not to mention that I cannot imagine any good, self-respecting author to agree to write books in an already established game universe instead of creating his own; meaning that such writers are probably mediocre, the ones who couldn't "hack it with the big boys".

But that's just how I feel.

• 641 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:29 PM EDT

Even though you get some agency in a game the developers still have a story to tell, all the player gets to do is decide how the story is told.

Also are you say guys like Dan Abnett, Greg Rucka and Warren Ellis are mediocre, really?

So do you think all in-game lore books are a waste of time?

• 288 posts
    October 10, 2015 3:36 PM EDT

I've never heard of any of those guys, so I'm guessing they are not top class.

I don't read in-game lore books much if that's what you ask. I don't understand what exactly do you mean by "waste of time". I know people who read them, so it's generally better that they exist.

• 1217 posts
    October 10, 2015 4:07 PM EDT

I'm not sure. I have my doubts that the Fallout universe can be captured on paper. I mean, if there was a Fallout novel, I'd read to find out, but I'd probably be skeptical of it.

• 773 posts
    October 10, 2015 4:26 PM EDT

Hopefully they'd be better than the Elder Scrolls novel which I found laboured and dull.

• 95 posts
    October 10, 2015 8:02 PM EDT
    No. A lot of times books based off video games are just milking the fans of the game for some extra $$.
    Also, they had better be considered non-cannon!
    • 3 posts
    October 10, 2015 11:01 PM EDT

If it was written well, and not based on one of the games. I'd rather see it as a completely different story with maybe some character's from other games. Location? Fallout 1 & 2 setting.

But overall, if a book in the Fallout universe was written, I would read it.