Forums » Fallout

Form your Own Wasteland Religion

• 641 posts
    September 30, 2015 2:23 PM EDT

In the post-apocalyptic wastelands of Fallout their is many strange religions, from Hubologists to Antlerism. But if you could form your own religion what would you worship and more importantly how would you worship?

• 1441 posts
    September 30, 2015 2:37 PM EDT

I'd restart the Old World religions

• 411 posts
    September 30, 2015 2:41 PM EDT
    The wasteland religion I would create is The Farseer Cult.
    The idea is that every person they sacrifice must become bloody bones to become a part of the god named mirric farseer the more bloody bones there are the pleased Mirric becomes. They must do this until Everybody except for the cult members are bloody bones to bring mirric to the wasteland and a kingdom of bones. The lifestyle of the cult members must mirror mine Wear heavy armor or power armor kill the innocent play elder scrolls.
    • 641 posts
    September 30, 2015 4:07 PM EDT

What religions would those be?

• 1217 posts
    September 30, 2015 5:04 PM EDT

That's tough to answer. Forming a religion implies that there's some kind of belief behind it, otherwise you're really just deceiving people to gain a following. There's really nothing in the wasteland to prompt that from me. I mean, I'm LDS but if I were in the Fallout universe, I wouldn't still adhere to Mormonism after the Great War, and really the New Canaanites shouldn't either, unless they significantly altered the doctrine and organization of the Church. IMO, if there's any belief to subscribe to, the Followers are the ideal one.

I imagine the wasteland tribes returning to nature-based belief systems, though any of them could well be tempered by Old World knowledge. I think that's why it's a pretty rare thing in Fallout; besides being a harsh environment where there's not much "time" for religion, it's difficult to create something from scratch that would fit in between the current technological collapse, and the pre-War knowledge that remained.

• 177 posts
    September 30, 2015 6:21 PM EDT

This is a hard question, but an interesting one! My answer would change depending if it were me  or some random wastelander. Myself, I am an atheist, so I wouldn't have a religion  to start, but I could start something similar to Confusism. It would not worship a deity per say, but would follow a set of morals somewhat based off of the Elements of Harmony from MLP. There would be no ranking order of priests or priestesses, only the the teachings I wrote down. The teachings would revolve around 8 Elements of Harmony, Honesty, Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, Laughter, Learning, Freedom and Peace. Followers would have to act upon and protect these Elements in their daily lives, and improve the shattered world around them. It would also be taught to follow diplomacy first, and resort to violence as only if necessary, and attempt to reform anyone that you can, forgiving them and allowing them to act on the elements. But I were some random wastelander, I would make something far more fun! We would follow the holy words of our prophet No-Bark and burn effigies of commies and chupacabra's daily! 

• 1441 posts
    September 30, 2015 6:52 PM EDT

Huh, neat Pinkie

• 1441 posts
    September 30, 2015 6:52 PM EDT

Christanity, Judaism, Norse Paganism, and all that, with the help of followers of those religions

• 641 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:05 PM EDT

No fun religions like Antlerism?

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:15 PM EDT

Does Antlerism really constitute a religion?

• 641 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:21 PM EDT

Sure, it has "ism" right in it's name 

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:24 PM EDT

That's only because a fan put it there, though; in-game there's no indication that Antler is religious figure at all.

• 207 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:25 PM EDT

I would probably form something based on christianity. No s3x with ho0kers, no alcohol/drug abuse. Worshipping one god. Helping the people by protecting them from raiders and other unnice persons.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    October 1, 2015 4:03 PM EDT

So full of hate were our eyes

That none of us could see

Our war would yield countless dead

But never victory

So let us cast arms aside

And like discard our wrath

Thou, in faith, will keep us safe

Whilst we find the path
    • 641 posts
    October 1, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

Um... huh? But it's people worshiping a cow skull.

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 4:49 PM EDT
    I'm just not seeing what makes it a fun example. It's one schizophrenic Nightkin getting "directions" from a skull, imo.
    • 641 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:06 PM EDT

Well yeah that's what makes it funny, he worships a cow skull.

• 1913 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:15 PM EDT

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong) there was a church of the 8... They would hold their god into the sky and ask a question in hopes to receive a divine answer... It was just a magic 8 ball.

• 1913 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:19 PM EDT

From the intense view on murder... Yeah, they changed the doctrine a teeny bit...

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:20 PM EDT

What view on murder?

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:22 PM EDT

That reminds me of Fury Road's Cult of the V8. Something like that would be awesome in Fallout, though it might not work out for it to be applied to cars, with all the leftover infrastructure getting in the way. Maybe in California/Nevada.

• 1913 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:31 PM EDT

Joshua quotes a passage from the Canaanite doctrine that basically can be summed up "I don't want to kill people... But if I need to, I must purge them entirely... Every single one. Men, women, children, leave no trace." "I don't like murder, but when in service to God, it is just a chore like any other."

• 1913 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:32 PM EDT

I don't know much about Mormonism... But if I remember correctly... Mormons were very strict on the whole "no killing" thing...

• 1217 posts
    October 1, 2015 5:52 PM EDT

You'd be right, to an extent. Joshua isn't really an adherent anymore, though. That'd be Daniel; hence their disagreement. Daniel sees Joshua as justifying his hate and violence, which is probably closest to the truth.

• 1913 posts
    October 1, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

I'd like to make a religion based on the eight virtues from Ultima: Honesty, Compassion, Valor, Justice, Sacrifice, Honor, Spirituality, and Humility.