Forums » Elder Scrolls

How Does Fallout 4 compair to Skyrim?

• 64 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:32 PM EDT
    Ive never played a fallout game before. However, I have played a shit ton of Skyrim, and since both games are Betheza-brew I wanted to hear how similar and different the games are (mostly in Terms of gameplay and Roleplaying).

So what are your favorite things regarding fallout?
    And how do these things compare to what you love about Skyrim?
    • 1217 posts
    September 29, 2015 5:52 PM EDT

Well, the engines are the same. Movement general gameplay like movement and encumbrance works the same in both, and inventory/menu management is pretty similar, though Fallout treats it as in-universe; you choose quests and change gear etc. through your character's wrist mounted Pip-boy computer, rather than "a menu". While there's no enchanting in Fallout, clothes and armor can still offer unique buffs/stat boosts, and some weapons can apply different status effects.

Everything else is pretty different.

• Skyrim (TES in general) favors melee gameplay, while Fallout favors projectiles, but they both have alternative options.
    • My favorite thing about Fallout is the setting. It's a world that I know, but changed. In contrast, Tamriel is a more abstract "medieval fantasy" setting, which while it often has really standout elements, is dominated by pretty mundane fare.
    • I also find Fallout to be unpredictable, which helps keep things fresh. There honestly wasn't much in Skyrim that wasn't predictable, even among the most powerful character like the Daedra. Best twist in the game was the Penitus Occulatus taking out the Dark Brotherhood.
    • Also, I just like guns more than swords.