Forums » The Lounge

Your favourite fantasy world?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:20 PM EDT

I like the Dragon Age lore a lot, but the Qunari doesn't interest me that much. I'm more into the elven lore and people. I can't wait to get my hands on Trespasser, gotta get my much needed answers with the Dread Wolf... Plus I hope there's more Vivienne/Cole/Cass/Dorian involved.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:23 PM EDT

I never knew there was a whole world for you guys. All I knew about it was that there was a show called My Little Pony and that there was quite a few people who liked it.

• 641 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:31 PM EDT

Well I don't want to say to much since a lot of the series is to do with discovering the different races and their nature. But the three Tiste races for example are kind of elven in nature, tall and biologically immortal. The Tiste Andii are born of darkness and have ebony coloured skin and eyes that change colour with their emotion. Tiste Edur are born of shadow and have grey skin and rust or iron colored hair, they are considered more barbaric than the other Tiste. The Tiste Liosan are born of light and have silver skin and gold colored hair. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:34 PM EDT

That will hopefully be rectified in TW: Warhammer. Though the prospect of a Ratmen army frightens me... From what I gathered the Skaven are a plague much like the Greenskins, though they thankfully don't reproduce through spores. (...right?)

• 177 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:35 PM EDT

Yup, the entire show takes place in the land of Eqestria! It's high fantasy but has an 1800's twist and a sprinkling of modern influence, it's actually very unique!

• September 20, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

Agreed, Equestria is a pretty interesting setting. Technology-wise there's a fairly well established railway system and at least one hot air balloon. Magic-wise about a third of the population has telekinetic powers, another third can fly and manipulate the weather instinctively, and the last third have a sort of passive crafting/farming talent that lets them overcome the lack of opposable thumbs. Low-grade magic is very common, but more powerful magical feats tend to be rather rare.

• 1217 posts
    September 20, 2015 8:44 PM EDT

Aye, no spores XD I'm actually not sure how they reproduce. Probably the normal way, but I don't know of any female Skaven characters or artwork. Perhaps they're all just normal rats mutated by warpstone/chaos.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 20, 2015 11:28 PM EDT

Hmm... This is like asking an scientist what their favorite theorem is, or an alcoholic what their favorite booze is, or, well you get the point.

Middle-Earth is the granddaddy of all fantasy settings. It is the classic, the genre maker, the first real fantasy novel that wasn't about real world mythologies. This is the baseline from which all others are judged, so I'll do just that.

Map: (5/10 - weighted to 8/10) I'm not a geologist, geographer, or a climatologist, or ecologist, or whatever branches you feel necessary to discuss scientifically accurate maps but I know Tolkien's is the opposite of scientifically accurate. I've adjusted the score, since most of the science governing what we know about geology/geography/climate didn't become widely accepted or even known until after Tolkien published his works. I have no other qualms with it, but once you expand it beyond what's shown in the books it starts looking odd and less filled in.

Cultures: (8/10) No qualms except its really really racist if you think about it too hard. But the depth of lore behind some of the races is astounding and beautiful.

History: (9/10) Phenomenal.

Gods/Religions: (7/10) Too Catholic for my tastes, but that's only after reading the Silmarillion.

Next Post: A Song of Ice and Fire

• 26 posts
    September 21, 2015 1:18 AM EDT

How could I have forgotten?!

Homeworlds and Dragon Realms, for the memories alone... If you get the reference then *thumbs up* :D

• 43 posts
    September 21, 2015 9:07 AM EDT

Discworld!!! Mostly because of how well written most of the books are (the latest one made me cry at one point) and also it one of the only fantasy worlds, I know of, without all the predictable "Dark Lords" wanting to destroy the world. It's a shame that Terry Pratchett is dead especially because he was planning even more books when he died.

• 77 posts
    September 21, 2015 9:25 AM EDT

For me it would have to be Faerun the world of D&D Forgotten Realms.  I've played in the world a few times (pencil and paper) and grew up reading R.A Salvatore's "Drizzt Do'Urden" series of books.  In many ways Skyrim reminds me of Icewind Dale, Ten-Towns, and Luskan from those books.  However, I've been growing very fond of Nirn, TES lore, and the world outside of just Skyrim.  But for now the nostalgia of my childhood makes me pick Faerun.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 21, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

I didn't get the reference.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 21, 2015 3:19 PM EDT

Good choice. I think that is a very interesting point, in so many ways The Elder Scrolls is the amalgamation of our childhood adventures and what we have always dreamt of, the closer technology can get us to the fantasy worlds we know and love. Yes, there are many other digital games based on fantasy, but not a single one of them can accomplish what ES does, the freedom it provides.

• T
    • 32 posts
    November 6, 2015 4:36 PM EST

Sooo... does anyone know Malazan Book of the Fallen? Same general theme as Song of Ice and Fire (dark, people die when they're supposed to (eg no deus ex machina bullshit), etcetera) but with more of a focus on magic.

Oh and lets not forget that this series' quantity of lore rivals that of Middle Earth's...
    Makes the world feel so much more alive.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    November 6, 2015 4:45 PM EST

I believe we got quite a few fans of the series, though I'm only familiar (and intrigued) with it by name and what people told me. Veloth is a fan, and I think Karver too?

• 1441 posts
    November 6, 2015 4:51 PM EST

ANyone here read The Night Angel Trilogy, in the continent of Midcyru, there are "assassins" and then there are Wetboys, trained killers, skilled with magic, known in this universe as The Talent. With threats of war from a neighboring country, Cenaria has the aid of a Duke's son, and Azoth, a street urchin become wetboy