Forums » General Gaming

Gaming Misuderstandings

• 45 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:43 PM EDT

When I first started playing League of Legends, I would see people say "gg" after every game, and I would be horribly offended because I thought that they were saying "get good," which I had heard was a commonly used insult on the game. This was not the case, as "gg" stands for "good game," but it certainly led to some interesting arguments. Similarly, when I first heard a Dunmer say "sera," I was new to the Elder Scrolls and did not know what it meant, so I thought that he had called me "sirrah," i.e., a term of disrespect. To make a long story short, I received a prison sentence after murdering a man for referring to me by a standard honorific. Has anyone else had similarly hilarious or disastrous misunderstandings in video games, or am I just an idiot?

• 739 posts
    September 11, 2015 7:57 PM EDT

Yeah 'good game' if it's a team battle or occasionally 'good going' if it's a VS...

...it's usually just 'noob' when people are trying to agro though. Lol...

I don't usually get narky with the in-game npc's, they're all scripted and stuff...

Morrowind was great when you had a bad-rep though...

...the Ordinators would get well pissed off if you were in the legion/cult/hlaalu and would just snarl at you each time you walked past...

• November 15, 2015 1:37 AM EST

I've had one misunderstanding in a MMORPG called RuneScape.

It's not really a hilarious or disastrous one, just a misunderstanding that spooked me for abit.

Anyhow, I was at a place called the Duelling Arena, where two players would duel each other until the other lost all their HP. After the fights were finished people would say "gf", which, at the time, I thought meant "get [Insert swear here]" and I would silently sit there horrified. I ignored their rude comments to each other and do some duels of my own, completely obliterating my opponents. They also said "gf" and slowly my mind finally pieced together that they actually meant "good fight".

The End.

• 100 posts
    November 15, 2015 12:14 PM EST
    I never knew sirrah was derogatory. Holy shit. I'm an ass.
    • 12 posts
    February 9, 2016 8:39 AM EST

Necroing the shit out of this thing, but there's also one that I want to share. See, Dutch slang is certainly not known for it's slang and I am embarrassed to admit that there's quite a number of Dutch youths who use cancer as an insult, kanker in Dutch. See, on Dutch sites, the abbreviation for that is kk, which for most English-speaking people seems to just mean something along the lines of 'okay'.

So yeah, back when I still gave MMO's a shot, every now and then, I was a lot younger and often very, very confused.