Forums » Fallout

Weapon Crafting in Fallout 4: What are you picturing?

• 739 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:03 PM EDT

I don't think we'll have to break items down, I thing the available upgrades for each weapon are linked to your perks (Gun Nut/Science etc...) It's why they flash up in the upgrades menu...

Once you take all ranks in Gun Nut for example you can technically upgrade your weapon to its maximum capacity as long as you have all the spare parts.

• 739 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:11 PM EDT

You do know you can rename your items in Skyrim don't you? Just checking...

Yeah, it's going to be cool if Behemoths are the new Giants in Fallout 4 and you really have to work for that 'Giant Toe' upgrade...

But that's what it seems like to me, scrap and components are Fallout 4's version of alchemy...

• 189 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:12 PM EDT

Right there with you, Mason. My first few playthroughs are gonna involve a lot of similar guns, e.g., trying a bunch of different snipers on one character, a bunch of different melee weapons on another, etc. Once I've played around with them in-game, I'll probably run a ton of tests to try to min-max the shit out of them for character building purposes.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:13 PM EDT

I could see them going that way; though I'd like to see that element of discovery, it could become a drag with 700 mods. Any crafting related perks in New Vegas automatically unlocked the relevant recipes.

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:25 PM EDT

I do know, yes  Skyrim requires you to enchant the weapon first, though. It doesn't look like FO4 will make you craft a weapon before you can name it.

• 490 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:27 PM EDT
    I am also excited for this possibility.

Some of the extra perks and specifically unarmed attacks for example were "gathered" from knowledgable people arlund the wastes in NV and it would be sweet if we could find a better way to make a specific kind of scope from a specific character.

Unique weapons in Skyrim, as pointed out already, were sometimes weaker or lackluster when compared to crafted weapons. Hopefully in FO4 we will find unique weapons and mods that are supreme in some fashion so the tradeoff and decision making on what to use is much, much harder!
    • 490 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:36 PM EDT

Well, not sure if you meant breaking things down for EXP or parts or learning things, but we do know at least to a certain degree we can scrap weapons ... probably just for parts. It would be awesome to be able to scrap weapons to learn new, unique ways to craft some things!

We can see that we are not in "modify mode", which has an option to then "build" the weapon when we are done selecting mods, there is just a generic mode at the bench to either scrap, modify, or rename (woot)

• 1217 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:40 PM EDT

I referred to breaking down in the same way it works in Skyrim, where you destroy an item and learn it's enchantments (or in this case, how to craft the mods).

• 490 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:43 PM EDT
    Yes! Hand loading my own ammunition (Hand Loader perk) was one of my favorite things to do in NV and one of the reasons I prefer the game over 3. Special ammo types would just feel right in terms of finding, scrapping/breaking down, and then hand loading with this new crafting system they are pushing.
    • 490 posts
    September 2, 2015 7:46 PM EDT
    Yeah I could see that happening and would make sense. Smash it open to see how it works, lol.
    • 1441 posts
    September 3, 2015 1:52 PM EDT

Maybe crafting some sort of incindeary rounds or cryo rounds.

• 641 posts
    September 6, 2015 3:44 PM EDT

I want a shotgun that shoots spears, Dead Space style.

• 404 posts
    September 6, 2015 3:47 PM EDT

you want a speargun shotgun?

• 739 posts
    September 6, 2015 3:55 PM EDT

I wonder if some of the weapons are multi-function...

We know that you can add bayonets to some of the bigger guns, does this mean that there's going to be two methods of attacking with the weapon (two buttons) or is the bayonet just going to add a little something to the kill cams?

Will it be possible to add a rocket launcher/grenade upgrade to a normal automatic weapon? Or perhaps a small shotgun upgrade...

• 641 posts
    September 6, 2015 3:59 PM EDT

Hell yeah! I want to be able to pin things to walls and stuff 

• 404 posts
    September 6, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

you mean like a Master Key and a Under-barrel Grenade launcher?

• 739 posts
    September 6, 2015 4:11 PM EDT

For sure...

• 404 posts
    September 6, 2015 4:15 PM EDT

that would be cool, since there is destructible buildings.

• 404 posts
    September 6, 2015 8:49 PM EDT

I just realized that someone might be able to create some of the weapons from the Warhammer 40k series.

• 41 posts
    September 7, 2015 6:36 AM EDT

I was thinking just this as I read through the second lot of comments, be nice too if you could craft your own power armor, eh ? Space Wolves, anyone ?

• 739 posts
    September 7, 2015 6:42 AM EDT

It looks like we get some pretty good options with customizing the Power Armor. You can mix n match the pieces from each of the models and it looks like you even get the option of color coding it to a certain degree...

I bet they can't resist adding a few new sets of power armor in the DLC's...can't wait!

• 739 posts
    September 7, 2015 6:57 AM EDT

LOL...

I wonder if you can 'lose' your power armor, it almost looks like a vehicle in Fallout 4...

...what if you get out of it when you want to go explore and then can't remember where the hell you left it!?

What if a raider hops in while you're having a nuka break? Or do you carry that key/power cell about with you when you aren't inside?

• 77 posts
    September 8, 2015 2:09 AM EDT

It's probably too much to ask for a bow that also works as dual swords, but some kind of energy blade would be nice. Or perhaps just some kind of cool-looking knife. I do hope there is a bow somewhere in the game, though. One can imagine all sorts of interesting projectiles for that...

Also, you can never go wrong with a cool laser gun. Not a Star Wars-style blaster (or any kind of gun that basically replaces bullets with lasers,) but a flashy laser gun like Halo's spartan laser or a kind of laser out of so many mechas.

• 404 posts
    September 8, 2015 11:50 AM EDT
    I hope we can craft our own Grenades man, I am talking Cryogrenades, incinerating grenades. Plasma grenades are also cool.
    • 1441 posts
    September 8, 2015 1:55 PM EDT

I want to make homemade energy weapons, like, slap a toaster on as a barrel, and fire dual, rectangular shaped beams of energy. Or a weapon that fires saw blades, Dead Space style