Forums » General Gaming

Tales from Los Santos

• September 1, 2015 2:02 AM EDT

So I'm doing the heist mission today where you steal the EMP device, right? Where you have to board the aircraft carrier and shoot down the other planes?

So, one of the other players gets in the objective plane and I get in one of the other jets...and immediately ram into some boxes and explode, because I forgot how to taxi properly. I apologize for being an idiot, we respawn on the deck and everyone gets in their planes again.

This time, we get up in the air without incident and shoot down the attacking fighters without incident. Good job, kudos all around. You can be my wingman any day, etc. The guy in the VTOL plane heads off for the landing site, and the rest of us sort of fly aimlessly across the city. I'm just thinking about piping up to remind everyone not to die, because it resets us back to the carrier when...one of the other players shoots me down. Game over, go back to start. "What the f---!?", everyone says. I explain what happened (an idiot shot me), we get back in the planes.

So, we go through the dogfight again (it's actually really, really easy, just kinda slow), everybody flies off toward Los Santos. I remind everyone to please not die/kill each other, because we'll have to do it again. I look down, to my left, and two of the guys (the other two not me or my buddy flying to complete the mission) are flying really low over the city. I, again, remind people not to die, because we don't want to do the mission again. I advise them to fly a little higher.

20 seconds later, the same guy who shot me runs into something and blows up.

We do the mission for a third time. Getting pretty good at shooting stuff down by now.  For a third time, we fly back over the city. Now, all three of us are, constantly, reminding the fourth guy not to get his fool self killed and send us back to that aircraft carrier. We recommend he just fly up high and go get a sandwich or something; the planes will mostly stay level if - and this is important - you don't point them at anything like a building, a bridge or the ground. We say these things over and over, "Please don't crash and make us repeat that section again. Just fly up!"

Guess what happens?

• 641 posts
    September 1, 2015 7:26 AM EDT

Haha that's rough. Is there no way to boot him from the heist? I haven't played a lot of GTA V and when I did it was mostly single player.

• 41 posts
    September 1, 2015 7:40 AM EDT

It's tough bro, you sure he wasn't trolling you ?

• 122 posts
    September 1, 2015 9:41 AM EDT

Stupidity knows no limit. That or people are just messing with you. GTA Online was never meant to be for serious gameplay, right? 

But San Andreas is best GTA because that's the only GTA my laptop can handle.

• September 1, 2015 11:47 AM EDT

Well, it depends. The heists can be pretty tough. (if only because of so little margin for error) There's even a challenge where, if you do all four major heists with the same four people on hard, in order and without anyone getting killed, you all get $10 million. (in-game money) You can also, on the PS4, Xbox One and PC, go into first-person mode and play that way. It definitely restricts your field of view and makes the game more difficult.

But, other than some problems with the eternal stupidity of other players GTA Online is pretty amazing. Los Santos and Blaine County are incredible playgrounds, huge and full of fun details, and getting to run around them with other players is great. GTA Online is less of a game and more a vector for games, which is the future of multiplayer content, I think. A least for big, open-world games.

• September 1, 2015 11:55 AM EDT

It crossed my mind. It's hard to tell, though, because what's the point? To waste everyone's time? I could see messing with us once or twice, but three times is pushing it. I think it's more likely he was some 12-year-old who kept getting bored waiting for the mission to end, flew too low and wasn't as good a pilot as he thought he was.