Forums » Fallout

Let's Talk w/ Gym Leader Matt: Vertibirds

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 1:09 AM EDT

One of the really attention getting features that has come out of the Fallout 4 announcement was the apparent implementation of a Vertibird as an armed transport.

We don't know a lot of specifics yet, so let's speculate! 

Our new YouTube partner Gym Leader Matt has posted up a great discussion video this week that looks at some the possible ways in which this might all play out:

Have a look, and tell us what you think below!

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 1:17 AM EDT

I wouldn't mind at all if this replaced fast travel. It'd be way more interesting to be able to see the wasteland whizzing by below you, and take pot shots at mutants and raider settlements on the way. Jumping out of that bird while fully girded in power armor (with a jetpack, naturally) in a shock and awe assault would be about as badass as it gets.

• 490 posts
    August 8, 2015 2:01 AM EDT
    Gym Leader Matt has some great speculation and questions.

For me, why would you throw a flare for a auto-piloted vertibird? Aren't flares used for pilots to spot them? Why wouldn't you just click a button on a GPS tracker? Who is going to see the flare if no one is flying it?

Orrrrrr ... Maybe someone is flying it? maybe it is a questline reward to have BoS or Enclave members come pick you up to take you places?

I think if they were to remove fast travel, people would throw a fit and we would get moans from the min/maxers who want to get the most out of their time. For me, I would be excited if means of travel included somewhat practical methods. What always bugged me about FO3 and NV was the safety of fast travel. You mean to tell me EVERY time I fast travel I don't run into some bad guys? Would be cool if they implemented a chance encounter thing maybe based on the Luck stat to get robbed or jumped if you chose to fast travel.
    • 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 2:30 AM EDT
    I'm definitely betting on the Vertibird being piloted. I don't think that kind of tech is around. Most of it is more aimed at taking life than protecting it. But it could certainly exist. I wouldn't mind a chance encounter generator, either. You can choose to risk fast traveling, or accept the known variables of a Vertibird trip.
    • 627 posts
    August 8, 2015 5:00 AM EDT

All I want is to be able to jump out into a group of people and start firing or swinging whatever melee weapon I have, is that too much to ask?

I wonder if the vertibird can be shot down or damaged in anyway.

• 641 posts
    August 8, 2015 6:11 AM EDT

I would be totally fine is the Vertibird takes over for fast travel. In fact I really really hope that's the case beacuse I never understand why people would want to skip out all the cool stuff you see on your travels and it's so immersion breaking 

• 627 posts
    August 8, 2015 6:20 AM EDT

Remember there will be those players will probably only play through it once, or they are completely focused on becoming as powerful as possible so they don't really care that much about the stuff they miss. Also not everyone has say 20 minutes to walk from one side of the map to the other just to talk to one guy and then have to go elsewhere.

I never understood why people would glitch the oghma infinium to get straight to level 81 from the start (since I can see no point in playing the game if you start off maxed out) and yet there were people who said they prefered it.

• 23 posts
    August 8, 2015 7:04 AM EDT

Yea, I wouldn't mind that at all. I think it might end up being story gated and restricted to going in a certain area. I don't know, it just seems like it would be soooo strong.

• 23 posts
    August 8, 2015 7:30 AM EDT

Same. I just don't think they'd ever remove fast travel though. I honestly think that the vertibird won't be as big of a role as we think after thinking on it for a while. I bet it's severely limited on what it can do.

• 23 posts
    August 8, 2015 7:31 AM EDT

I would think so. I don't think they'd ever release the most op machine in the game and have it be invincible at the same time. Let's hope it can anyway, haha.

• 23 posts
    August 8, 2015 7:33 AM EDT

The flare was a weird use for an auto-piloted machine. I wish they'd use the FO2 style where random events happened on fast travel. Based on luck would be a great way to do this like you said. I agree.

• 627 posts
    August 8, 2015 7:49 AM EDT

From the looks of it there's at least someone sitting in the left seat, cause I can see what looks like an arm when he gets in the vertibird and the camera spins around to look out the side

Edit: you can also see the outline of someone through the window when it takes off again

• 490 posts
    August 8, 2015 8:28 AM EDT
    You're right! Some closer looks and I can definitely see a pilot. Or maybe it is a synth pilot?!
    • 1913 posts
    August 8, 2015 9:30 AM EDT

I would love it to replace fast travel... but more than likely it'll just be something required for a main quest...

• 23 posts
    August 8, 2015 9:50 AM EDT

I would agree with that. I can't see fast travel going away, I mean why would they? There isn't much reason to. I think it's just a quest thing and maybe can ride you to a small, predetermined section.

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 10:11 AM EDT

Probably, yeah. Makes good sense. Maybe it's also available as an emergency transport (though that would diminish the usefulness of the "Jump" function) that'll simply return you to your nearest settlement, or some other safe place.

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 1:37 PM EDT

That'd fit right into a Railroad storyline.

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 3:23 PM EDT

If you can't have your power armor in your inventory (and it's looking more and more like you can't), it'd be great to be able to use the Vertibird to "call in" your armor to where ever you are in the game world.

• 1483 posts
    August 8, 2015 5:29 PM EDT

I'm pretty sure we'll have to choose whether to side with the Brotherhood or work against them. The first should net you the vertibird summon. The second... anyone noticed that huge ray of light destroying a city... :D

• 1217 posts
    August 8, 2015 5:34 PM EDT

I just know they won't let me fire that at whatever I want like the Archimedes, but I'm still gonna be sad when I can't. I love me some giant death rays.

• 23 posts
    August 10, 2015 8:12 AM EDT

I'm like 90% sure that is how it will work. It's the only plausible thing that makes sense to me.

• 1441 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:47 PM EDT

Apparently, you can throw down a flare, and call it down

• 1441 posts
    August 26, 2015 2:49 PM EDT

If I get the chance to jump out mid flight, decked in power armor and jetpack, I am so gonna yell "AHM A SPACE MARINE YOU WASTELANDERS!"