Forums » The Lounge

Favorite Friday jam?

• 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 1:43 PM EDT

Alright party people, it's Friday. Welcome to the weekend! I don't know about you guys, but I'm super psyched about this weekend. So psyched in fact, that I wanted to put on some of my favorite jams on my ride to work this morning. Only as I was scrolling through my music I couldn't find anything that really matched how amped I was. I was scrolling, scrolling, scrolling... "....eh... nah... don't feel like it... sick of it..." 

So I'm asking you fine folks--what's your favorite Friday jam? I know we have "favorite music" threads and the like, but what do you like that specifically puts you in the mood to party, rage, or just unwind? Anything goes. 

I'm making a playlist for this. I'll put it up on my Spotify and anyone who wants the link can have it. And of course I'll order it so that it makes sense (genre-wise).

• 700 posts
    August 7, 2015 2:29 PM EDT
    This is a mission. There's a lot more than I want to type out on a phone and my thoughts are hazy, so I'll be back soon, once I have a keyboard and the caffeine that fuels my existence.
    • 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 2:48 PM EDT

Haha! No pressure Legion.  It doesn't have to be the "ultimate" Friday jam. Just trying to stitch together a solid weekend playlist. So far I have my contribution, which is The House That Heaven Built by Japandroids. 

Seriously any genre goes though. I was a DJ for five years, so 1) I have a deep appreciation for all types of music and 2) I promise I have the skills to make it come together in a cohesive way. Even if no one replies, this playlist is happening. It'll just take me longer to find new tracks by myself. 

• 700 posts
    August 7, 2015 3:47 PM EDT

Whenever I get together with my friends, regardless of our sobriety, we're usually bumping hip hop since it's the genre we all share and one of our friends just has a large playlist of it on hand at all times.  Things like D12, Eminem, DMX, Biggie, Dre, Snoop, Tech N9ne, Hopsin.  Lots of angry people, some of who make really good party songs.  

Why don't I just send you a playlist that you can add to the main playlist?  That'll be easier.  

• 394 posts
    August 7, 2015 3:54 PM EDT

I'm currently listening to Game of Thrones music while writing. #partypooper

• 394 posts
    August 7, 2015 3:56 PM EDT

Happy by thingamy, you know from Despicable Me. Pharrell

Hey Ya! by Outkast

Today Will be a Good Day by Dianne Reeves

Stop distracting me!

• 394 posts
    August 7, 2015 3:57 PM EDT

I have loads of dance music, poppy and heavy. I may stick some on and post them here

• 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

I definitely get that. When I have my friends over (especially a large group of them) I feel like the stereo will tend toward hip hop--mainstream and independent. 

Hell yeah, do that! Are you on Spotify? Or you mean PM?

• 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

Boooooo. Kidding kidding. Post that next chapter already! :P

• 700 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:09 PM EDT

I'm on Spotify.  legion0451. 

• 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

But distracting you is one of the things I do BEST.  And thanks dude!

• 694 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:15 PM EDT

Added you.

• 558 posts
    August 7, 2015 5:13 PM EDT

I prefer strawberry jam on Friday, but grape for the rest of the week.

I guess for party songs it would be like Trap Queen  by Fetty Wap

For rage songs it would be like Rip Your Heart Out by hopsin

For unwind songs I would say Pursuit of Happiness by Kid Cudi

• 394 posts
    August 7, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

Did you get this over there? 90s BritPop: I'm mad for it!

No video! Single version, shorter, not as good but with a great vid:
    • 457 posts
    • 457 posts
    August 8, 2015 12:15 AM EDT
    I really went in for the Brit shoe-gazing stuff in the 90's... I must have worn out my Loveless cd by My Bloody Valentine xD

On the pop-side, my sister's were into Blur, The Verve, and Supergrass. I was more of a Charlatins guy myself ;D
    • 394 posts
    August 8, 2015 4:04 AM EDT

Blur? Bah! Oasis any day! And Pulp. 

• 457 posts
    August 8, 2015 4:08 AM EDT
    I know, right?
    • 394 posts
    August 8, 2015 4:21 AM EDT

Tbh I like them all, Blur the least though

• 71 posts
    August 8, 2015 9:14 AM EDT

I Need a Lover - John Mellencamp

Touch Me - The Doors

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Honourable mention: Layla - Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos)

• 12 posts
    August 8, 2015 10:29 AM EDT

On wow...that's all of my Spotify pretty much.

• 145 posts
    August 8, 2015 10:44 AM EDT
    twenty one pilots.
    But seriously, The Cinema are really chill and I like to jam to the Life is Strange soundtrack. Since tomorrow's my birthday I'll probably be doing a lot of jamming :P twenty one pilots are kind of an acquired taste, but their album Vessel has happy songs and Blurryface, their new album, has some happy songs and some dance type songs. And then you've got Bossfight, a pretty groovy artist with some 8-bit jams, The M Machine for some dancing or for some interesting songs, meganeko's pretty nice. I listen to a lot of stuff =D
    • 145 posts
    August 8, 2015 10:46 AM EDT
    Trap Queen is so catchy!
    • 145 posts
    August 8, 2015 10:51 AM EDT
    For happy songs with twenty one pilots I recommend We Don't Believe What's On TV, Fake You Out, Polarize, Hometown, etc.
    Arctic Monkeys are nice to chill out to, and Two Door Cinema Club are upbeat. Savlonic is kinda cool. I'm sure I'll come up with some more...
    • 145 posts
    August 8, 2015 12:42 PM EDT
    You've got great taste, my friend :P I think you might like Smoke and Mirrors by Gotye. It's got kind of the same feel.