Forums » General Gaming

Official Witcher Discussion Thread

• 1913 posts
    October 17, 2015 8:12 PM EDT

@Phil, I refer to my quote from Stephen King about spoilers. Besides, I didn't say the thing that is the thing.

It's listed with the other English voice actors and I know David Cockle is the voice for English Geralt and that's the only one there listed to playing him...

I think he is a being from a different dimension that hoped to our plane. He seems to omnipotent and too helpful to be evil incarnate. Why would he allow Olgierd to live forever instead of just putting him through unendless torture both mentally and physically? Why help you find Yennefer? Those actions may not be done with the intentions to help or do good deeds, but they obviously aren't done out of malice or contempt.

Still haven't beaten the caretaker... Gotten close, but then he gets BS hits in and I run out of potions or stamina to use Quen and then he's basically full health.

• 1595 posts
    October 18, 2015 3:07 AM EDT

It's a long fight, the Cartaker, just be sure to grab his shovel after you kill him. I found that crossbow bolts came in very handy, especially the Bolt with Bait for some reason. I was testing out this play through with my light armour, adrenaline point-focussed for Battle Fury crossbow build so took the  new perk which allows for 2 bolts to be fired before reload. I spec'd so that each bolt contributes to adrenaline point gain so that every few shots and stabs I could throw up an evolved Yrden to zap him. It worked pretty nicely. You can scoff at crossbows but each hit was doing 87 dmg and more shots could be fired than sword blows landed before he glows all green.

Yeah, agree about the evil thing. The idea of pure evil doesn't fit with the Witcher world so much in my mind. Sometimes humanity is the biggest evil in the Northern Realms, so I like how Master Mirror could be like a reflection of humanity, both good and bad.

The only thing I missed and need a repeat play through (like the Bloody Baron quest revelation that he wasn't to blame for the miscarriage - something I missed first time) is the heart of stone. Did Olgierd agree to that stipulation in the contract or was that the "small print"? It's a little unclear to me how much he knew when he started on that path, or whether he was so desperate he didn't notice some word play.

• 1913 posts
    October 18, 2015 4:01 PM EDT
    He agreed to the terms but didn't want to, feeling his own mortality hit him was a scary thing.
    • 1595 posts
    October 20, 2015 6:55 PM EDT

Veloth does this fix work for you?

• 641 posts
    October 21, 2015 2:58 AM EDT

Doesn't seem to be any fix for console 

• 1595 posts
    October 23, 2015 5:39 AM EDT

1.11 is now rolling out, I think UK XBL has just got it. It should fix the NG+ item issue as well as the I wore Ofieri before it was cool achievement/trophy.

• 641 posts
    October 23, 2015 7:33 AM EDT

Finally! Hopefully the PS4 one will arrive next week some time so I can actually play it.

• 1913 posts
    October 23, 2015 8:15 AM EDT
    XB1 only :P
    • 641 posts
    October 23, 2015 12:56 PM EDT

• 1595 posts
    October 23, 2015 1:36 PM EDT

Next week? It's out now on PS4

• 649 posts
    October 27, 2015 4:28 AM EDT

Alright, ladies. Daddy´s home. Bought Heart of Stones today, so once I´ll get out of work I´m gonna check what´s this fuss all about

• 1595 posts
    October 27, 2015 4:35 AM EDT

Ahh yiss! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the dlc  Karves.

• 649 posts
    October 27, 2015 4:38 AM EDT

Have to figure out with what character to play it though. I´m not sure for what levels it is meant. 30+?

Cause I have only 2 charactes. My first Wolf/Gryffin Gerland, second Bear/Alchemy build who is somewhere at level 12.

Your recommendation, Phil? Note that I haven´t even played New Game + yet

• 1595 posts
    October 27, 2015 4:48 AM EDT

Well I played with my first Gerard of Riv who was level 36 and pretty much did all quests in the game. Even at that level the HoS quests and enemies were tough in places. If you take your level 12 character into HoS you will not get far

The dlc will let you play with a premade character with 20k gold and you can respect him, but he won't have your old equipment, bombs and potions leaving you with just the basic starting level formulae and diagrams.

So I'd say bring your first character in with whom you completed the game. You get a free Potion of Clearance so you can respec until your heart's content.

• 649 posts
    October 27, 2015 5:12 AM EDT

Gerard, Gerland, Geralt...that´s lot of names

Alright, Wolf it is.

• 641 posts
    October 27, 2015 2:51 PM EDT

I will get to the DLC... at some point.

• 649 posts
    October 29, 2015 4:19 AM EDT

Alright, so because I had holiday yesterday, I managed to find some time to finally play the DLC.

So a wedding, a heist and haunted house. The story is great and I expected no less from CD Projekt RED.

Enemies are challenging, but not as challenging as I would like. I specced into my Bear/Alchemy build and found out that almost nothing can kill me. Even Olgierd in our first duel had some trouble to even get me down to half of my health (Death March).

I killed Caretaker yesterday (or whatever is that shovel swinging bastard called) and I have to say that´s one god damn retarded boss. I mean, boss is supposed to kill you, not take away almost half an hour of your life, because he keeps healing himself. My build isn´t exactly made for raw damage, but it took me twenty minutes to get him down. Yrden and Tawny Owl made the fight very repetitive. Yrden - strike - disengage. Over and over again. When I nearly killed him he summoned those ghosts and I was like "What now?" Really stupid boss.

Also, I noticed that if I´ll look at the story with some objectivness, making myself see it from the out of the picture, those quests are like movies from Hollywood studio. First is really twisted fairy tale - like Hansel and Gretel. Than there is love-comedy. And then you have a heist like The Italian Job (probably bad comparison, their plan worked in that movie ) And then that haunted house which is supposed to be some horror I suppose.

As for the Gaunter and Olgierd...Well, Gaunter is like a crossroad demon (like Crowley from Supernatural, lol) so he has some dark bright moments where I consider him intriguing. Merchant my ass...

As for Olgierd, he seems like a prick, but for some reason he´s charismatic and more likeable than Gaunter.

I guess I´ll see who I will choose once I get to that point.

So I killed Caretaker, will continue playing once I get home.

• 1595 posts
    October 29, 2015 5:24 AM EDT

Awesome Carver! Interesting that you are already favouring Olgierd even at this stage. In comparison it wasn't until after the quest you're about to embark on that I warmed to him. That said, Gaunter has been sinister as hell right from the start but both voice actors do an amazing job.

So what are your thoughts on the wedding, or to be more specific, Vlodimir? Did you enjoy that section or find it tedious? One of the things which Gamespot marked HoS down for in their review was some of the activities in that section, specifically the pig herding sequence. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that. How did it add to or detract from Shani and Vlodimir's characters?

What about the Heist? Who did you side with and what was your outcome? I liked how you can fulfil Olgierd's wish literally without giving him what he wanted. This is genius I reckon, especially if it turns out you might agree with his motives for wanting Borsodi's House when you later find out why he desired it. It just adds another layer I think, adding to those those ambiguous choices The Witcher series is famed for.

• 649 posts
    October 29, 2015 5:35 AM EDT

So it´s Vlodimir for you? It´s Vladimír for me. I find it really funny how so many Czech names appear in the game, especially how they sound in English. Hilarious

I have...mixed feelings about the wedding. I liked that you got some chance to know Shani better, but I found Vlodimir really dislikable person. To put it bluntly, he´s really a dick. I didn´t found his lines funny. They were bothersome and annoying. If I was Geralt, I might have enjoyed it more, but Vlodimir somehow ruined that for me.

As for the Heist, I had some serious trouble deciding. Both Borsodi brothers were dickheads, but I ended up with Ewald, cause I was little worried that the fatty will hand me over to the guards anyway. So I stayed with Ewald, took the house without the will and let him live.

After that, when Olgierd said that the hospital would profit from action of that house, I was like: "Hm, really? You´re a nice guy suddenly?" and then he said "Fuck the poor, I just wanted revenge." Yeah, that´s the Olgierd I know.

• 1913 posts
    October 29, 2015 6:05 AM EDT
    Considering he says "Vlodimir" and its spelled with an O...:P
    • 1913 posts
    October 29, 2015 6:07 AM EDT
    The other brother doesn't turn you in, I was shocked too...
    • 649 posts
    October 29, 2015 6:16 AM EDT

Well, in Czech it´s Vladimír, in Polish it´s Vlodimir but it´s the same name. I have the game in English but with czech subtitles.

That makes it harder for me sometimes, to talk about names. For example, you have the Professor, but in czech game he´s called Magister. It´s kinda confusing sometimes.

Especially with Triss and Dandelion.

In czech, they are called Triss Rancuncul, and Dandelion is Marigold. It´s from the original version of Sapkowski´s books. So as you can see, the names are kinda problem for me here.

• 1595 posts
    October 29, 2015 6:40 AM EDT

I'm a little surprised you disliked the wedding, for me it was a highlight and a breath of fresh air ( I did the heist first). The way Geralt-as-Vlodimir walked with his hands on his hips, his eloquent language, grandiose speeches and constant desire to impress Shani endeared him to me. I smiled from start to finish and was touched when all this turned out to be an act he put on to hide his insecurities which are revealed when he pologises to Shani for failing to win the herding contest (I used Axii) and later when he feels the need to apologise for running like a coward before his death. This again touched me later on when we find out why Vlodimir died... Shani was the true star of the sequence for me though. It wouldn't have worked had she not been so believable as a character.

As for the Hesit, what did you make of the little history revelation about Vessimir? That short conversation with the baroness was the highlight in that quest, but I also enjoyed beating the Gwent guy with a Monster deck. True witchers use Monsters!

The option to deliver the House sans the all important documents was brilliant, I'm glad you mentioned the poor and hospital dialogue. At that point I was patting myself on the back for outwitting Olgierd and was suddenly like "oh crap". Regardless of Olgierd's true motives, an opportunity to do some good passed me by because of my desire for petty revenge. Awesome stuff. Did you like the Viper armour set or the New Moon set?

• 649 posts
    October 29, 2015 7:13 AM EDT

It´s not that I disliked the wedding. I disliked Vlodimir. I really dislike these intrusive types.

Oh, Vesimir. That part was interesting and I was like: "Damn, old man had some fire- Shame he´s dead and I can´t ask him bout that." That would be hilarious. You think there´s the option to talk about that with Vesimir if you complete the DLC before the siege of Kaer Morhen?

New Moon set doesn´t look bad, but Viper is armor I completely adore. Once I get to 39 level, I will trade my bear armor for that one, though I´ll have to fiddle a little with my talents again.

I once said to Bryn that it is really shame, that the starting armor you have at the beginning doesn´t have a set or more powerful version. It´s only a cuirass, but best looking witcher armor if you ask me. Wolf being my second favourite.  So yeah, I´m totally going to use the Viper.

• 1913 posts
    October 29, 2015 7:21 AM EDT
    There actually is an option to ask Vesimir.