Forums » Fallout

Underwater Exploration in Fallout 4...

• 739 posts
    August 3, 2015 8:32 AM EDT

Like all Bethesdas open world games underwater exploration has always been a very cool feature.

Some titles like Skyrim and Oblivion touch on it rather briefly while Morrowind featured entire cells and caves (grottos) of deep murky water that held various treasures and perils as well as entire daedric temples that had collapsed into the sea...

The Fallout 4 concept art features many visual references to water, ships, and even submarines being a larger theme than in the previous desert filled expanses. This video by The Pre-War Hub has gone into a lot of detail on what we can perhaps expect to see... 

Underwater exploration in any rpg is always incredibly cool and in games like Bioshock 2 provides the player with some awe inspiring visuals. While underwater cities are probably unrealistic in Fallout 4 its location and setting is practically begging for us to take a dip in a radiation suit and find out what's going on beneath the waves...

...with high radiation levels, Mirelurks and mutations its bound not to be good news! But that's definitely part of the fun and I hope its been implemented well!

• 739 posts
    August 3, 2015 9:19 AM EDT

What about Sonic! Lol...

I only like underwater exploration when there's good rewards to be found. In Morrowind exploring water caves often led to amazing loot and because you could find daedric items at level 1 it often made the risk of drowning worth it.

I agree that they don't seem to have got it right since, underwater locations haven't been given enough attention to make them worth the drag of not being able to swing a weapon and the movement speed decrease just makes it even more painful...

• 394 posts
    August 3, 2015 9:30 AM EDT
    Best I've ever seen was in Guild Wars 2, although I haven't played BioShock 2
    • 1217 posts
    August 3, 2015 10:55 AM EDT

Irradiated Kraken? Sign me up.

• 490 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:04 AM EDT
    With the addition of melee options on ranged weapons and guns, I don't see why underwater combat would not be included. A well jabbed bayonet on a rifle could act as a harpoon of sorts.
    • 1913 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:08 AM EDT
    Wouldn't that just be an irradiated octopus or squid?
    • 1217 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:10 AM EDT

Yeah, in the same way a glowing one is just and irradiated human.

• 485 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:28 AM EDT
    I liked assassin creed 4s underwater segments. I think underwater exploration has to be scary to be done right. In the aforementioned game, it got scarier and darker the deeper you went and the creatures only got more vicious the further you went down.

Anyone remember emerald weapon from final fantasy 7? Remember how terrifying deep sea exploration could be knowing you could run into that thing? That's what's like to see out of undersea exploration in fallout 4.
    • 743 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:32 AM EDT

If it's pulled off ac4 style, it'll be a wonderful feature.

• 1217 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:32 AM EDT

I did like that in AC4, though I'm not sure if I liked it because of the implementation, or because pirates. There was also a giant squid...and that was awesome.

• 743 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:33 AM EDT

The entire design was pure awesome.

• 1483 posts
    August 3, 2015 2:58 PM EDT

Isn't ocean water irradiated? I remember getting rads when swimming near Point Lookout shores... 

• 77 posts
    August 23, 2015 10:14 PM EDT

Yeah, not that they couldn't explain that away, but I thought swimming in irradiated water would kill you faster than the soil or the air.

• 113 posts
    August 24, 2015 1:26 AM EDT

My thoughts are is if the under-water exploration will be like Skyrim's Blackreach for Fallout 4?