Forums » General Gaming

Dragon Age: Inquisition

• 649 posts
    July 9, 2015 5:36 AM EDT

I was wondering. What are your thoughts on DA:I, guys? Did you enjoyed it? What do you think about story? Combat?

To be honest, I was really excited for it, bought it the day it came out. And enjoyed it pretty much. Combat was interesting even while they have removed Healing spells. While I was trying to complete the story as soon as possible because it was really intriguing, it didn´t left that big mark from previous games. The story was really predictable for me, only reason why it was so intriguing was the new lore and more explanations (like Flemeth).

While I played the previous games several times, I haven´t touched DA:I again since I finished it a two weeks after it came out. Mass Effect 3 kept me playing it because it has awesome Multiplayer I still play from time to time, but DA:I Multiplayer...nah, I really didn´t get into it.

Your thougths?

• 1483 posts
    July 9, 2015 6:11 AM EDT

I'm a fan of Dragon Age Origins and with all the advertisement for DAI saying that it'll have similar elements, I was excited for it. Then, the more of the gameplay I saw, the less I wanted to actually play the game. They went the "rule of cool" route, completely disregarding realism in some cases. Then they removed blood magic from the game... I watched all the romances on YT, love the characters and the glimpses of story I got were pretty cool, but I decided against getting the game. 

• 708 posts
    July 9, 2015 6:22 AM EDT

I loved the game but felt like it could have been much better. The gameplay in general felt like less of a Bioware game and more of a singleplayer MMO at times - I really feel like there was too much of a divide between the scripted stuff and epic set pieces of the main story/some of the major companion sidequests and the open world stuff.

The story was pretty good but I really felt like it went downhill after Haven, where you're beating the big bad at pretty much every turn. The last bossfight was cool but I really felt it lacked character and impact - I can think of some other scenarios which would have been much better! Don't get me wrong though, the Haven->Skyhold quest completely blew me away, one of those great Bioware moments.

I did really enjoy the crafting system, the weapon/armour customisation had me really hooked in both my playthroughs. Dwarven melee Rogue in Silverite Legion of the Dead armour for the win!

Like you I'm a big fan of Mass Effect 3's multiplayer but unfortunately I have to say Dragon Age's was a bit of a disappointment in comparison.

Overall like I said it was a great game which could have been much better, even though I focused a lot on the negative here I did really enjoy it.

• 627 posts
    July 9, 2015 6:27 AM EDT

For a while I was obsessed with Dragon Age Origins; in fact I just started another playthrough today, and while I didn't like Dragon Age 2 as much, unlike most of the internet I will admit that it is a good game it was just unfortunate to be a sequel to Origins.

Now as for Inquisition I've finished that fully about twice which is less than DA2, after a point the story... well it's not really the stories fault here it's more the fact that you are forced to complete side quests and other things to progress, and that those side quests are increasingly repetitive.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I really did enjoy the game 

• 649 posts
    July 9, 2015 6:33 AM EDT

The Haven and Skyhold scenes still give me chills. There was really an epic feel to those.

That line about it being MMO at times is fitting. And Multiplayer was pretty much like MMO, except that you can´t actually see teamwork there. In ME you know that when there is Geth Infiltrator he won´t let anyone come throught the route he covers and you have prevent enemies from flanking him. DA Multiplayer was like "let´s concentrate everything we have on that group and they maybe we´ll survive."

As you, I have enjoyed the game too, but in comparison to DA:O and DA:II it wasn´t that great. The camaredie and rivalry in DA:II is still one of my favourites.

As Vazgen said, removing Blood Magic was wrong step. But I guess that the Chosen One can´t use blood magic, huh?

• 649 posts
    July 9, 2015 6:40 AM EDT

Dragon Age 2´s problem actually wasn´t that it was sequal to DA:O. It´s problems were repetive maps and waves of enemies. At least for me. I actually enjoyed DA:2 story much more than Origins or Inquisition. Hawke is just badass, but not any chosen one or something. Just a guy who cares for his family and is trying to carve his life in Kirkwall.

Well, I have decided not to mention you can be Mage in middle of Templar´s city and nobody gives a crap about it

• 627 posts
    July 9, 2015 9:57 AM EDT

My point with it being a sequel was more about the fans and their nostalgia glasses making those failings look so many times worse. The warden wasn't really a chosen one more like someone who just got lucky, and also Origins had Loghain aka the best antagonist in the series (I will not stand for any argument on this point)

As for being a mage, Meredith explains that since you have been doing good for the city she has looked the other way (which seems a little out of character...)

• 649 posts
    July 9, 2015 10:00 AM EDT

I completely agree with you on Loghain. Badass. It is always hard choice between him and Alistair.

Well, I didn´t mean just Meredith. I mean pretty much everyone. You froze half of the street or rain fire from the sky in pure daylight and nobody is calling Templars? I do understand that otherwise there would be no point in playing mage in DA:II but still...

• 627 posts
    July 9, 2015 10:04 AM EDT

They removed the Blood mage specialization because compared to the others it would have required a much larger amount of reaction from the various npcs that you interact with, and they felt that it would detract from other parts of the game.

I can't quite recall where I read that, but I'm fairly certain that was the gist of what was said.

Edit: found it, in this video which is an interview with David Gaider

• 627 posts
    July 9, 2015 10:09 AM EDT

Yeah I get what you mean, Kirkwall is supposed to have some of the strictest Templars around and yet you can run around shooting fireballs at people and no one bats an eye. Even after you kill the Arishok, when there was an audience still there's no reaction to it, not even a mention.

• 113 posts
    July 9, 2015 10:09 AM EDT

It didn't have a double jump, so it was kinda weak. Third-person fantasy games need a class that can double jump.

Another Dragon's series taught me that one. 

• 201 posts
    July 9, 2015 10:35 AM EDT
    I am a big DA fan. Every ting about It is fun. I love the people, the weapons, the lore, the armor, and the places. However I am interested in what The Dread Wolf has planned...