Forums » General Gaming

Kingdoms of Amalur - Reckoning

• 485 posts
    June 21, 2015 3:00 AM EDT

Absolutely loved this game. The graphics, the size and scope of the world, and the combat were amazing. If ever there were an underrated game, this is it. In some ways that game reminds me of ESO, which might explain why I'm so drawn to ESO. But enough about what I think of the game, I'd like to know what you think of it. 

• June 21, 2015 4:02 AM EDT

Very fun game. I only played as a mage, but the spells were crazy. The combo I remember in particular was this one spell that dragged in nearby enemies with lightning, jump away while shooting a stream of fire, and finished the spell with a large ice ball, and after that one spell, I would summon a giant meteor. It's not Dragon's Dogma's level of magical insanity, but it still gets pretty crazy. Also Reckoning Mode finishing move were so glorious, all of them were. Killing that arch-demon with a Fate Spear was an extremely memorable moment.

I might buy it and play it after those fond memories. I remember leaving a fair amount of quests incomplete, particularly in that...dwarf city, I think?

• 708 posts
    June 21, 2015 4:09 AM EDT

Played this last year while I was waiting for ESO to come out and I really enjoyed it. I ran a warrior/mage hybrid and I gotta say this game really does give you a lot of freedom for characters. The combat is fun and has a high enough skill ceiling for most playstyles so you'll always be improving throughout your playthrough as new skills and options become available. Some of the quests are a bit lackluster but the zones and lore were very cool.

There's a fairly lengthy demo available, and if you like that I'd definitely recommend buying the game. It's only $10 on steam at the moment (50% off the usual price of $20).

• 773 posts
    June 21, 2015 4:19 AM EDT

Yeah, bought it on PS3 when it first came out and absolutely loved it.

Definitely a game that deserved to be more popular than it actually was. And I believe the company went bust, so there won't even be a follow up, sadly

• 4 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:43 AM EDT

This game is one of my favorites that I keep going back to. Loved the combat, magic, character creation. I even loved the beautiful, colorful acid trip world. There is a vote going on at the xbox one site where people are voting for which games they want backwards compatible for that console if anyone is interested.  I voted for Kingdoms of Amalur which I prefer to play on a console rather than a computer. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    June 21, 2015 3:17 PM EDT
    One of my first RPG/action games. I got it a long time ago, and especially loved the finishers. Only complaint would be that abilities don't scale very well, or quest xp when you get into the higher levels. Still a great game though, too bad the company that made it got shut down :(.
    • 485 posts
    June 21, 2015 4:08 PM EDT

I was quite fond of the Spell Cloak class, a rogue mage hybrid that could spawn shadows to distract enemies and teleport. 

• 1467 posts
    June 21, 2015 7:11 PM EDT
    Damn, this is probably one of the most unique games I'd played in a long time and it's a damn shame that the company went bust. The whole levelling system was freaking great, the lore was interesting, each race was interesting, the weapons and armour were mostly well designed and it had a really interesting and fun combat system. Faeblades were so fun.

The actual story and quests were pretty solid as well which for a game with such a great levelling/combat system is pretty rare. It's a real shame we won't see a sequal to this game or probably anything like it...I need to play it again
    • 1217 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:16 PM EDT

Started it, but still haven't gotten deep into it. It usually takes a while for fantasy games to grab me, but I've heard so many good things about it that I'm looking forward to getting into it. I want to play a rogue since I've got the omni-blade daggers from the Mass Effect promotion.

• 201 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:34 PM EDT
    http://kotaku.com/5913102/rumor-38-studios-shutting-down-big-huge-g...

Explains it all here. They owed Millions of dollars and they didn't have enough staff to earn the money, so they filed bankrupt.
    • 201 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:40 PM EDT
    I absolutely loved the game. Especially the combat! Best combat I've yet to see. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED faeblades. I loved each race and I loved that you could forge your own destiny. The Dlc in the game were awesome, one Dlc held a "Stonemen" Race, and they were in danger from an ancient power and leader. The other Dlc was on an island, and there was an evil pirate who had been terrorizing the island, and you could make your own house. There were also SO MANY WEAPON Dlc's. I absolutely love the game.
    • 5 posts
    June 21, 2015 10:29 PM EDT

Bought this game when it first came out, was pretty enjoyable.  Definitely a game that went under the radar because it really is a great game. Combat wasn't bad at all, the game played pretty smoothly considering not much more work was done to it after release if any at all. Lots to explore and tons of lore to find . Amalur is a great place to go adventure around in, just sucks that there probably won't be another game after this one.

• 67 posts
    June 22, 2015 6:01 AM EDT

There was definitely something about this game that made it very unique to other fantasy games. Very magical. I really enjoyed being a warrior/rouge setting all the traps and luring all the enemies to the frost traps and then blasting them with quake... always satisfying lol. The thorough Fae lore was an interesting touch and detect hidden really opened up the mysteries of the gameplay. I definitely recommend it,  my partner and I have always gotten hours of enjoyment out of it. 

• 485 posts
    June 22, 2015 1:50 PM EDT
    Fae blades had to be among the most unique weapons available in the game. The combos one could pull off with fae blades and daggers were nothing short of insane.
    • 201 posts
    June 22, 2015 1:51 PM EDT
    Yea, and I loved the chakrams too.
    • 485 posts
    June 22, 2015 2:19 PM EDT
    It sucks when shit like that happens to potentially great game companies.
  • June 23, 2015 9:02 AM EDT

i played this game before playing skyrim. my friend said it was like single player World of Warcraft. so i try it. absolutely love this game!! the combat feels right. very fun and engaging. that feel when you bleed and poison your enemy, and they explode poisoning their friends. hahaha. playing hunter-like character sure is a lot of fun with traps, bombs and different ways of shooting arrow.

and the armor sets are beautiful. the world are not that explorable like skyrim but the battle sure is memorable.

to be honest, when i started skyrim (right after finishing KoA), i am deeply disappointed with skyrim combat system. of course i was just very new to skyrim and haven't learn the beauty of skyrim combat. still, skyrim requires imagination to be fun but this game is just straight away fun.

this game sure deserve more popularity. too bad at that time this game is very expensive.

• 161 posts
    June 24, 2015 3:07 PM EDT

That game really is the epitome of a RPG. The rouges arent weak and strategic, The mages smart and powerful with charged spells and the warriors vary quite abit. That game is one of my favorite. and I love the whole reset system. I reset three times and played all tree classes very well. Plus the destiny system is really cool too. 

• July 4, 2015 3:43 AM EDT

I need to try this game out again. I had it rented at one point and enjoyed it but never picked it back up. Fae blade for some quick strikes follow by a might hammer blow was how I rolled :)

• 66 posts
    July 17, 2015 8:15 PM EDT

I played, replayed and played it again. Sadly the studio went bankrupt. 

• 558 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

I started playing it yesterday, and one thing I hate so far is the camera. Hopefully I'll get used to it...

• 558 posts
    July 28, 2015 3:21 PM EDT

This is also the first game I've played with an emphasis on cutscenes and dialogue options. It kind of feels awkward after playing so much Skyrim and Dark Souls :P. I can't wait for later levels, though. It seems the combat is supposed to be crazy fun at that point.