Forums » General Gaming

Gaming for fun - Is it dead?

• June 20, 2015 12:59 AM EDT

Man, I can't think of any other reason to play a game than to have fun. Of course fun is highly subjective. I enjoy competing in games with friends, but dislike doing it online. I also don't like dealing with folks who get super pissed about losing....unless it's really funny to watch:)

• 130 posts
    June 20, 2015 1:03 AM EDT
    Some people play games for money - testers, reviewers, professionals and other such jobs all rely on playing games.
  • June 20, 2015 3:01 AM EDT

Good point. I knew that, but didn't think of it earlier.

• 394 posts
    June 20, 2015 4:18 AM EDT

Great post! I started gaming early too, even before the 'Personal Computer' existed, on an Atari ST. Anyone else remember them? If you had an Amiga I can't be your friend ;)

I've always liked slower, story- and character-driven games for which Skyrim is I think is the current apotheosis; back then it was the Ultima series. So I've never got much into FPS's - they were for console kids, and I was a real gamer! Multiplayer ditto - way too aggressive & competitive. Also, I probably wasn't that good at them, and would have my backside handed to me on a plate by some 12-year-old. Not fun!

Gaming for me has always been about fun and always will. If it stops being fun I stop doing it. You can be aggressively competitive IRL - gaming is supposed to be an escape from that!

• 237 posts
    June 20, 2015 1:56 PM EDT

I only play multiplayer games with friends, unless it's co-op in which case I use the game as a way to find more friends. Like you, I play games to have fun, I have broom racing for my adrenaline rushes and ego boosting.

• 5 posts
    June 20, 2015 5:50 PM EDT

Yeah not to far off that's for sure. After not playing WoW for like 10 years I decided to try it out again only took me about a month or two before I realised how much I hate it lol. Not all the players make it bad, but majority of them just make the game annoying and not fun to play at all. And holy frig general chat and trade chat in WoW are so full of trolls no sense in even having the chat channels turned on it's no help lol. Just mentioning the word explore in a dungeon would make some people super mad lol, gotta do it quickly as possibly. A lot of wimps too scared to even take a bit of damage get hit once and freak out because they are scared of dying.

I mostly play offline games, just avoid the hassle of online play seems less stressful and not so many angry gamers that way lol. I don't mind competition but most online games are just annoying to play now.

• 7 posts
    June 20, 2015 5:58 PM EDT
    Haha, MMOs are terrible for stuff like that. I remember playing Diablo 2 back in the day, online was almost pointless. People would always be lurking around to steal your drops, or just blaze ahead of you to steal all the glory, and look out if PvP was on. I'm all about exploring every nook and cranny myself, but a lot of people just seem to want to beat it as fast as possible.
    • 237 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:06 PM EDT
    That's pretty mean to film him like that! :( But he does seem to have unhealthy emotional states when playing.
    • 622 posts
    June 21, 2015 8:09 PM EDT
    Not always true. Playing online is a lot of fun with friends