Forums » Fallout

Fallout Sucks

• 558 posts
    June 18, 2015 4:50 AM EDT

picture edited by gollum

Am I the only one who dislikes the Fallout franchise? Granted, I have only played New Vegas, but certainly Fallout 3 (or even the other ones) can't be that much better, right?

You walk as slow as in Morrowind, the map is boring (sandy hills and crumbling roads gets old fast, as does driving through Kansas XD), and melee is TERRIBLE.

I don't plan on getting Fallout 4, and I probably never will. Unless they are improving melee and maybe even implementing a sprinting mechanic. THEN I will consider getting it eighty percent off on the PS store three years later.

Does ANYONE here on the Tamriel Vault (R.I.P. Skyrim Blog) agree with me? Or am I not giving Fallout the chance it deserves? Tell me in the comments below, I would.love to see what you guys and gals think.

~a troll that tries too hard in the forums

• 773 posts
    June 18, 2015 4:52 AM EDT

Well, I'll give you full marks for bravado.... 

• 622 posts
    June 18, 2015 5:00 AM EDT

Hey Paul, mind if we set up the bulletproof glass in the corner? We may need it... 

@Gollum: Seeing as you have only playing FO:NV, probably much later after it was released, I doubt you are looking at the game the same as the others. Melee is actually fun, the DLCs introduce some new locations but the base game has a lot of new places to explore.

• 13 posts
    September 15, 2016 5:48 AM EDT
    It uses the same engine as Oblivion, which I believe is a remodel of the one from Morrowind. This was before Skyrim, which is an entirely new engine, and one that made many changes. Fallout is a shooter game with melee added. It uses the same melee engine as oblivion but focuses on it far less because it focuses more primarily on firearm usage. New Vegas had a problem of being set in a desert, which is a boring place. Fallout 3 had some (slightly) more varried environs, including swampy, urban, and temperate scrubland. Fallout 4 uses the Skyrim engine, and does in fact add a sprinting feature as well as using an (arguably) upgraded melee system. It is still more like every other Bethesda game in melee terms, but it does have improvements. The world is far more environmentally varried, featuring temperate woodlands, swampy areas, coastal regions, and even a massive irradiated badlands area. Where the title especially shines is in the implementation of a robust weapon and armor customization system (which puts Skyrim to shame imho), a settlement creation system that makes Hearthfire look like an early release indie prototype, and a rather interesting format for managing equipment. You have far better control over companions than in Skyrim, and while the game does lack dual wielding and weapon/armor creation, the food, chemistry, and cooking crafting systems are very lovely. It uses a more Skyrim style of focusing on perk ranks to determine character abilities rather than linear numerical statisics and number management (a choice which seems to be surprisingly polarizing for many.) The DLC is probably some of the better of Bethesda (no horse armor, 3 dlc's that add quest and location on a large scale, and 3 Hearthfire-esque home crafting dlc's though for 1/3 the price.) The character customization, while lacking the cariety of fantasy races in Skyrim, is robust and interesting, though it is also polarizing, with some finding it very effective and some having much difficulty with it. The biggest bugbear (or super mutant?) for some is the addition of a voiced character and some Bioware-esque changes to the dialogue system, but unless you play on PS4, there are certainly mods to help with that. And some even learn to get accustomed to it. Am I saying it's perfect? certainly not, but this is Bethesda, where quality is on a multiplicative scale with flaw. It is certainly, though, different from both the previous Fallout games, and Skyrim, being a sort of refinement of the Skyrim engine in a Fallout-focused way. I would encourage you at least try 4 despite existing opinions of the Fallout series, it might surprise you or it might disappoint you, but it is certainly different enough to warrant a look.
    • 13 posts
    September 15, 2016 5:50 AM EDT
    May I note that I only see op+2 posts in this thread, despite the thread list showing 3 pages of 52 comments? Thus, my reply.
    • 2 posts
    November 12, 2016 2:55 PM EST

GR8 B8 M8 I R8 8/8.

• 558 posts
    November 12, 2016 3:51 PM EST

Lathos Zan said: May I note that I only see op+2 posts in this thread, despite the thread list showing 3 pages of 52 comments? Thus, my reply.

Thank you for your post.

I think somebody deleted comments or something went horribly wrong when they moved this thread here. I tried Fallout 4, but I still couldn't get into it. I got deeper into it than New Vegas; that's something, I guess. I did enjoy the scenery more than NV, and the companions were more consistent than Skyrim's. It was the most fun I've had in a Fallout game. I may try to start a Survival mode playthrough because it seems like it could be less boring.

It didn't notify me when you wrote this, so I'm sorry for the late reply.