Forums » General Gaming

The Witcher 3

• 773 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:04 PM EDT

OK, so I made a thread for The Witcher 3 in the old Gaming Group a few weeks ago, which got surprisingly few replies

I'm making it here, because I think its an awesome game, with real depth and strategic approaches needed to actually succeed in the game world. (Well, at least if you play on anything above the lowest difficulty).

Genuinely, I'm surprised that more people in our community don't seem to be giving this game a real go. It's set in a very similar game world to Elder Scrolls. There is magic of sorts ('Signs), heavy used of potions, enchantments, oils etc to enhance weapons and armour. The lore is solid and coherent, and the storytelling is amazing. Even simple side quests have a lot going on, at least compared with the generic 'kill the bandit leader' quests you got in Skyrim

All in all, its a LOT of fun

Anyone else playing and enjoying The Witcher 3?

• 1913 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:09 PM EDT

I want it, but don't have a next gen console. I really want to get it and will probably get it next Saturday or Sunday (graduation party, family and friends want to give gifts and more than likely its money)

• 773 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:11 PM EDT

You're gonna need that next-gen console by November 10th mate 

• 1913 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:14 PM EDT

Well think of it like this... A brand new Xbox One costs $125 here... I have $110... And I'm getting more money from family.

• June 17, 2015 5:49 PM EDT

Just beat it. Absolutely fantastic. However I have one big issue with the story: Ciri. Her character is great, nothing wrong there. More accurately I have a problem with Ciri's role. I feel like there is so much missing. At one point Ciri even says, "This is my story." And she's right. She's the chosen one, kind of. Geralt's just a simple witcher.

I'm trying to think of how to convey this. It's like they should've been building up how important Ciri is throughout all the games and have her develop a bit more slowly into the most powerful character in the entire game. It's like Witcher 3 only gave me a taste of the full story (which is probably actually true considering there are like seven Witcher Saga books).

• 1217 posts
    June 17, 2015 5:55 PM EDT

What? You can get a One for $125? How?

• 394 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:07 PM EDT

Still playing Skyrim, but I need it to come out on Xbox 360 or get a new console or PC. Looks superb

• 1913 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:10 PM EDT

Well it says on the dashboard its only $125 to order. And that's new. Gamestop is closer to $100, used.

• 1913 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:11 PM EDT

That's the problem... Geralt in the books is more just featuring unrelated side stories... Ciri is more the main character in the books.

• 641 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:16 PM EDT

Skellige is by far my favourite area 

• 1913 posts
    June 17, 2015 6:23 PM EDT

I appreciate how they present the fact that Ciri is Bi in a respectful way. They could have just given her sex scene after sex scene like Geralt with any male or female available. Considering what happens to the two people in her life before the games... Yeah, understandable why she didn't sleep around...

• 641 posts
    June 18, 2015 10:14 AM EDT

Just noticed that Projekt RED have released a free Wolf School Armor DLC! Finally! I was always bummed that that there was no armor for Geralt's school and now there is!

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

Has anybody finished this yet? I'm curious to see what side people supported in the war.

• June 22, 2015 5:17 PM EDT

I just finished it. Radovid is insane. Tywin Lannister down south is a little better. He's not crazy, from what I've seen. He's not killing people in the street (again, from what I've seen). So that's a pretty big step up. Still didn't like him that much.

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 6:15 PM EDT

What about Dijkstra? I did consider it because I think he could rule the North well but I wasn't willing to pay the cost.

• June 22, 2015 6:36 PM EDT

*Pretty huge spoilers* Honestly I wouldn't have minded Dijkstra being in charge. But he shouldn't have tried to kill Roche and Ves, two people who helped me defend Kaer Morhen without a second thought, in front of me. Bearing in mind, Dijkstra told me to piss off when I asked him. Not a smart move (in fact it's a stupid enough move for me say it was out of character. Did Dijkstra really think he could take on Geralt with a few thugs?).

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 6:51 PM EDT

Btw have you read much of the WItcher novels the games take after?

• June 22, 2015 7:01 PM EDT

Sadly no, the English translations are little tough to get your hands on. I intend to read them at some point since Ciri, the classical chosen one, really interested me and the books are supposed to be more her story.

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:08 PM EDT

Yeah Dijkstra is a pretty awesome character in it and the Emperor is a pretty sick fuck what he tries to do to Ciri.

• 1913 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:09 PM EDT

The first and second "books" are a collection of short stories. Then it goes into a full on novel.

• 1913 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:10 PM EDT

Oh god... He's horrible. And Tries is horrible too, if you read the books than I doubt you like her.

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:25 PM EDT

I hate Triss SO MUCH! The worst part is the people who only play the games love her and hate Yen.

• 1913 posts
    June 22, 2015 7:27 PM EDT

I hated Yen at first so much... Then I read a few books involving her and I was like "0.0... Better than Triss by a huuuuuuuge margin"

• June 22, 2015 7:34 PM EDT

I'm not really sure what you expected, Shaun. It's not like gamers will instantly fall in love with this brand new character while sidelining a love interest that they've had two games to form an attachment with. 

And I will say The Witcher games and The Witcher Saga are a different canon (think A Song of Ice and Fire and HBO's Game of Thrones), likewise book Triss and game Triss are different characters as well.

• 641 posts
    June 22, 2015 8:03 PM EDT

The games have the books as canon but the books don't have the games as canon.