Forums » Fallout

New Vegas: Almost A Chore

• 700 posts
    May 22, 2015 8:53 PM EDT

For a long time, I have been in a role-playing rut  in New Vegas, and I think the game is to blame.  For an open-world game, New Vegas really wants to put the player on a set path from the get-go.  Consider that the starting location, Goodsprings, is mapped out like this:

North = Death by Cazadors and Death Claws.  
    West = Impassible mountains.  
    East = Black Mountain, i.e., death.  
    South = Correct!  

Given, you can sneak through the north side by using the Stealth Boy acquired from Cobb's body, but likely not without loading at least a few times.  And to have a chance of getting through, you need that Stealth Boy which requires fighting the Powder Gangers.  

Whereas Fallout 3 and Skyrim allow the player to pick a direction and walk, content to let the player ignore the main quest, New Vegas makes it difficult.  Its map design is based around the main quest which I believe stifles creative role playing.  When five characters with different skills, dispositions, motivations, and histories all walk the same path by what feels like a guided hand, their individual differences become overshadowed by the feeling of not being in control.  

Agree?  Disagree?  Thoughts?  Advice?  

• 224 posts
    May 23, 2015 12:27 AM EDT

I like Fallout World too, just like Elder Scrolls World
    Maybe the map is designed based around the main quest, but you can always try to go over the hard paths, you should install some good weapon mods to break through and kill any living thing out there, I liked some sniper weapons, it will kill any living thing with great distance range, without had been even touched by foes 

• 1483 posts
    May 23, 2015 7:59 AM EDT

You don't need a Stealth Boy, you just have to avoid the road. Keep to the left side of the road from Goodsprings and climb the hill. The path is safe and you'll come out on top of the Chance's Grave. From there you can sneak by the Casador camp into the Khan valley.  I used that trick every time I wanted to get to the Strip right away. 

Sneaking past the Deathclaws at Quarry Junction is also possible though it takes a lot of patience, some luck, skill and Stealth Boys 

Another trick to skip half of the map is to follow a shortcut from Hidden Valley. There is a narrow path filled with Radscorpions but no big ones (unless you go to a small arena-like place on that path) and you can just run past them. The shortcut exits near HELIOS One. That's probably how the Brotherhood escaped the NCR back then. 

• 95 posts
    May 23, 2015 12:15 PM EDT

In New Vegas: GOTY (Or Ultamite addition I believe. All I do is use the Perk Glitch, then find a way to turn my character into a complete Vampire who feasts on the flesh of his enemies. It's always so fun! Oh, and I find a way to just try to kill everyone and screw up everything XD