Forums » The Lounge

2015 Game of the Year

• 65 posts
    May 5, 2015 12:25 PM EDT

I'm making this discussion because I want to know what you guys think will be the 2015 Game of the Year. I have 3 candidates, Tom Clancy's The Division, Dying Light, or No Man's Sky. Those are just my picks, but what do you guys think. Remember when Skyrim all those Game of the Year awards in 2011 and 2012. I'm hoping that TES and Bethesda continue to impress though. Especially with TES VI and Fallout 4 coming out soon. Anyways back to Game of the Year seriously what is going to get the Game of the Year award. I'll leave for you to decide. We'll be seeing it soon thankfully.

• 966 posts
    May 5, 2015 12:34 PM EDT

Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3, Galactic Civilizations 3 and Hearts of Iron 4 are the ones I'd likely pick from.

• 773 posts
    May 5, 2015 1:40 PM EDT

The poll at the start of the year....

The only game that interests me personally is The Witcher 3

• 133 posts
    May 5, 2015 2:11 PM EDT
    Batman: arkham knight or the witcher 3
    • 1483 posts
    May 5, 2015 6:37 PM EDT

Unless Bethesda releases new Fallout it'll probably be Witcher 3. 

• 65 posts
    May 5, 2015 8:43 PM EDT

Oh thanks for pointing that out Paul I was forgetting about that I think I chose the last option on that one. Only because the three games I mentioned in this discussion wasn't on it.

• 43 posts
    May 6, 2015 8:55 AM EDT

I think Skyrim is deserving of winning GOTY again!

• 1467 posts
    May 6, 2015 9:44 AM EDT

I'm just gonna chime in with a passion filled vote for Dragon Age: Inquisition (Damn people always forgetting about this beauty) 

SPOILER I AM LITERALLY RANTING NOW, IT MAY GO ON FOR A PAGE OR MORE I'M REALLY SORRY BUT I LOVE THIS GAME...

Alright now if you've ever raised this topic with me by now you surely know why but for you new comers to the Dragonborn Rant series lemme give you a breakdown.

Plot: I don't know what it is but DA: I has one of the most intense and awesome plots I have played through for a long time. Sure it's got all that boring side quests and time consuming grinding that most games have nowadays but breaking the plot down to the bare bones of the Main Quests and you actually have a story that tears so many games down in a blaze of glory. Stopping Alduin, Harkon and Miraak, yeah the Main Boss in DA: I makes those guys look weak, all 3 of them. 

I haven't finished the Main Quest but already I am in love with the story, I won't spoil it but I honestly can't think of many stories recently in games that are better put together and more interesting.

Characters: By god there is something special about the characters in this game which I personally feel makes it stand heads and shoulders above any other game released last year (but I haven't played them all so I could be wrong). Each of the Companions, Advisors (Major characters that cant come with you.) and other Main Character has a completely different feel and most of them are enjoyable, hell the ones that I hate (and I really do hate some of these pixel arrangements) are extremely well written too, I can't deny that even if I want to choke that damned Elf with his own robes...

Anyway continuing on my love for the characters in this game. Each companion is so very different and makes me have actual physical attachments to them. I struggle every time I have to make a choice that might make one of them die or angry at me and sometimes that choice is just, ugh it's so hard to explain but the way everything is written often makes me feel like a complete ass to these characters. 

The amount of effort, time and creativety put into each character alone would give this game my vote but as old Billy Mays would say. But wait there's more

The Choices: Alright here it is, the number one reason that seperates it from other Role Playing Games these days, hell just about any game. While it isn't as free-roaming as Skyrim, DA: I has one thing going for it that makes the irrelevant. Over the course of the story you have to make choices, who will you save, what will you do with them, how will you attack this place, who will sacrifice themselves to help you. You make these choices and they aren't just tiny, little decisions that effect your loot (though they do sometimes) no these choices effect your party, other major characters and the damned story itself. Some of these choices are rather massive and make the entire game feel like you are both in control and forced into decisions.

My second bit there if being forced into decisions isn't bad, and I don't mean it as being forced into picking one good over one bad (or just one in general) but you might have to pick between two options and you don't want to pick either, simply because you've grown attached or both have horrible consequences for people but you have to pick one or the other. To me this is what makes it a truly great RPG because it, well it's more realistic then

"THE DRAGONBORN SAVED EVERYONE YAY"

Conclusion: To me this is what makes this game great and I could go on for another hour or two and still be ranting but I think it's long enough (too long actually but hey I'm bored).