Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why Hate on Cicero?

• 65 posts
    April 28, 2015 3:44 PM EDT

Why does everyone on the blog seem to hate Cicero. I think the guy is hilarious and OP as hell. Cicero is my best friend in the game. Plus I kind of pity him, Cicero is not a annoying and stupid guy that everyone thinks he is. No, he's actually mentally insane, because if you read his journals you would know because he had a downfall. The Dawnstar Sanctuary is the third sanctuary he had to move to. For the first one in Hammerfell he had to watch all his friends die, in the second one, well his only friends were Gabriella, Festus Krex, and you the listener. So tell me what you guys think of Cicero, (probably a bunch of hate comments) because I want to know.

• 50 posts
    April 28, 2015 4:10 PM EDT
    The fact that my first playthrough was a Viking badass, and I encountered him. My Vikings don't play. So, it's not as much I hate him, more that my characters hate him.
    • 1595 posts
    April 28, 2015 4:18 PM EDT

Hate comments? Nah. All things Dark Brotherhood are cherished by the majority of members of TSB so I suspect Cicero is held in the same high esteem Lucy Lachance is.

I'd like to be wrong though

• 1483 posts
    April 28, 2015 4:27 PM EDT

Stupid? No. Annoying? YES! 

I get the reasons behind his instability but his presence does not inspire confidence in me.

• 201 posts
    April 28, 2015 5:21 PM EDT
    Look it's not that I hate him, I just hate his voice, and ya ya ya, it's just a game, and plus, I hate how he just walked into Skyrim and started saying that astrid was a false deceiver. he was a Seeker, just like you were the listener, and I don't understand why he didn't just keep his role . No, he wanted to be in the big leagues, not taking care of his mother. Everybody had had some kind of demon in their past, that doesn't make their actions accountable, does it? So no, I do not hate Cicero, I hate how they portrayed his character, just because Skyrim is a game doesn't mean it is not a story too... so no, I actually like his character. I think he is a bit annoying at times, but I tend to save him every now and then... It's kinda like reading a book and then watching a movie, it disappoints
    • 168 posts
    April 28, 2015 5:31 PM EDT

Cicero is simply the most annoying character in the game and only Magrus, Alkosh, Azurah, S'rendarr and Rajhin know how so many people like that motherhorker so much. I hate the way he speaks, I hate his childish attitudes and I think the Night Mother was consuming skooma to let that piece of trash to be her keeper. And to tell the truth, I don't know which of them is the worst: Cicero or the children of Skyrim (especially the ones on Whiterun).

• 201 posts
    April 28, 2015 5:35 PM EDT
    Huh, Khajiit gods, well done XD
    • 168 posts
    April 28, 2015 5:43 PM EDT

What can I say, I love Khajiits!! They are so puuuurrrrrfect

• 6 posts
    April 28, 2015 8:20 PM EDT

i actually love cicero and his insane personality, its really make traveling in skyrim much more fun, and i think he is the only one that have good mind in the sanctuary, astrid is really an imposter because she is not a listener or speaker or anything but act like leader just because the other okay with it, the listener should be the leader. and her husband the dog? much worse,  i am a much more badass werewolf and he act like he stronger than me, when the sanctuary get attacked, i run as fast as i can so i could kill him first not that penicus oculatus guy.. (sorry if there any grammar error, english not even second language in my country)

• 367 posts
    April 28, 2015 10:38 PM EDT

Hate is such a strong word, I don't hate him at all. However I'm always joining the Companions and my Lord and Master (Hircine) is always wanting a damn good hunt. As everyone knows the Dark Brotherhood in general are no mere base prey. So it's not hate, he's just at the wrong place at the wrong time wearing the wrong outfit. Sorry, but Cicero poor sweet Cicero dies. (Just for the record he isn't sweet but rather stringy).

Sotek Loyal Hound Of Hircine

• 649 posts
    April 29, 2015 1:32 AM EDT

I do like Cicero. Ilike his crazy talk, his madness. I like him the same way as I like Sheogorath. What can I say, I´m little bit crazy too, because I just like crazy people :)

• April 29, 2015 4:40 AM EDT

I for one think Cicero is one of, if not the best, follower. His creepy comments and mental insanity make my day. Not to mention his overall skill.

• 1483 posts
    April 29, 2015 7:31 AM EDT

motherhorker...

*writes down* 

• 1595 posts
    April 29, 2015 10:00 AM EDT

The only viewpoint in which you let him live is if you're roleplaying some fantasy romantic (and non-existent) notion of  "honourable assassin".

I think this is my biggest problem with DB, they are so irredeemably evil almost to a cartoonish degree. Rather than attempt to portray them as a morally grey organisation like the Morag Tong which existed to keep the balance of power in Dunmeri politics in check, the DB is cackling and villainous bunch of sadists.

I mean they are supposed to represent something as totally misanthropic as Sithis, so it would have been fascinating to have them portrayed as a group who firmly believe killing loads of people is for the greater good. That would make at least some members of the DB view themselves as honourable assassins which in turn would raise a few questions about their mental health. Instead, they all seem to relish how delightfully two-dimensional they are.

I wonder if this is why Lucy is so loved. Out of all the members of the DB he is closest to that idea and people cling to it like a drowning man clings to driftwood.

Instead they are just a bunch of fuckwits who exist because assassins = awesome for some unfathomable reason.

• 41 posts
    April 29, 2015 11:11 AM EDT

I think this is my biggest problem with DB, they are so irredeemably evil almost to a cartoonish degree.

Instead they are just a bunch of fuckwits who exist because assassins = awesome for some unfathomable reason.

You just summed up most of the things about Skyrim's Dark Brotherhood that I disliked, but could never put into words. I seriously don't get why people find stereotypically hyper-evil assassins, who kill just for the fun of it, so "awesome".

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that the DB seems so... unprofessional most of the time. I find it hard to believe none of them have ever botched a contract and been captured, considering how casual they act around the Sanctuary.

And Cicero's personality and voice are just REALLY annoying and grating after even a short while.

• 1217 posts
    April 29, 2015 11:44 AM EDT

I don't dislike him anymore than the other members of the Brotherhood. In fact, half the times I've finished that questline, I've let him live. He's probably my least favorite character in that faction, though, maybe neck and neck with Babette.

• April 29, 2015 3:31 PM EDT

I like him. That's never stopped me from killing him though.

• 773 posts
    April 29, 2015 3:52 PM EDT

He's decent enough as a character - it just his annoying voice that makes me want to smash his face in with an axe

Shallow, I know....

• 5 posts
    April 29, 2015 3:55 PM EDT
    Oh Cicero, my best skyrim memories are with him as my companion (well besides when I started modding my game and got Inigo). The only time I ever killed him was in my first play through, because I sh*t myself when I realized he had an ebony dagger (the holy grail for a person who hadn't played an elder scrolls game since 2006)