Forums » The Lounge

What name do you think is sexy/cool

• 51 posts
    May 1, 2015 8:26 PM EDT

I have a bunch of names for each race(mostly  male characters)

Glenior (nord/breton/imperial)

Kozar Kah'rin (redguard/Khajiit)

Bulog-Kagzor (orc obviously)

saeren (nord/breton/imperial female)

Damien(breton)

Risa'av(redguard/khajiit/argonian)

Kavell(breton/imperial/redguard)

zumar'Jahardin (Khajiit female/Reguard male)

i alaways thiink of names while doing stuff in the bathroom or before sleeping :-)

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 1, 2015 9:04 PM EDT

That is the most tasteless and offensive links I have ever followed.

Who the fuck uses Steven Seagal as a profile pic?

• 122 posts
    May 1, 2015 11:43 PM EDT

For males: 

• Nendra (o3o)
    • Kai
    • Levi
    • Zach (specifically Zachariah)

For females:

• Krystal
    • Luna
    • Jaden
    • Robin

Hope I helped.

• May 2, 2015 2:15 AM EDT

Oh man, naming characters is one of the purest joys in my life, equal parts art and science.

A good name is going to have several components; it should be aesthetically pleasing to both ear and eye (sound good and look good written down), it should be meaningful in a way that's not too blatant or too subtle and it should fit the character's role in the story. Calling your everyman Bartholomew Malachi Yamamoto doesn't really work, and neither does calling your galactic-level magical god-emperor Joe Smith. (...although, I kind of like that second one)

In general, I'm in favor of "balanced" names; that is, if you have a long, multi-syllabic given name, the surname should be short (and vice versa) Short-short can also work, but you generally want to avoid long-long except for characters who really warrant it, and even then you should probably think of a good way to "shorten" it so people can refer to them easily.

To give some examples, here are a few character names from a sci-fi space opera called Far Horizon that I've been kicking around for a while.

• Alexandra Stark - "Alexandra" comes from "Alexander," which means "guardian." "Stark" obviously can mean harsh, stripped-down or straightforward. Thus, the name means "Stern Defender," which is a good name for the leader of an entire starship.
    • Adam Stahl - "Adam" from the Hebrew word for "man," and "Stahl" which is literally German for "steel." Thus, "Man of Steel." A very leading-man sort of name.
    • Emiko and Hoshiko Serizawa - These are a little more complex. "Serizawa" references the character Daisuke Serizawa from the original Godzilla; both Serizawas are scientists in areas that may or may not be considered ethical. "Emiko" is the name of his love interest from the film, whom he loses to another man. "Hoshiko" is her daughter; "Hoshi" means "star," and "-ko" is a suffix meaning "child." Thus, "Star Child," an appropriate name for someone who is born in space.
    • Renée Fontaine - "Renée" comes from a Latin root meaning "reborn" or "rebirth." "Fontaine" means "fountain," so this becomes "Fountain of Rebirth," a great name for this character because [SPOILERS].
    • 75 posts
    May 2, 2015 8:53 PM EDT

Marcus.

• 189 posts
    May 2, 2015 9:42 PM EDT

Elysium   

• 82 posts
    October 10, 2017 5:59 AM EDT

Male: Luke, Christian, Jack

Female: Vivian, Rachel, Naomi

This post was edited by Loopdiss at October 17, 2017 3:50 AM EDT