Forums » General Gaming

A computer, Skyrim and Mods

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:00 PM EST

Recently I acquired a gaming computer, and it's glorious. However, I have some questions regarding Skyrim on PC.

The thing is, Skyrim is now terribly boring to me (For the record, I used to play it on a PS3). Sometimes I even fall asleep during character creation...

So my question is, how different is Skyrim on a computer? Is it really all that better? And does the mods drastically change your game, to the point of it seeming a new one? (Lore-friendly mods and some texture ones). Basically, is it worth a shot, or will it be as boring as it is on PS3? Or should I invest all of my money reserved to games on Total War - Napoleon, Empire and Medieval II - (I'll be buying Shogun 2 + DLC's in anyway)

And also, how would it run Skyrim:
    Processor: i5 4670k 3.4 GHz;
    GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7870 2GB OC;
    RAM: 2x4 GB 1600MHz DDR3;
    HDD Seagate 1TB SATA 3

• 79 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:15 PM EST

The difference in potential of Skyrim Console and Skyrim PC is as different as the ground and sky.

You can make graphics a whole lot better (higher texture packs, ENBs, etc.), you implement more diverse sound fx for improved immersion, you can actually fix those strange annoying bugs, you can start a character anywhere of your choosing, you can change all your animation (ie you don't like the two-handed sword animation, you can change it), you can do a whole lot of things you weren't able to do with the console, and a whole lot more.

• 79 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:23 PM EST

You can also change your Skyrim to something one of the following below:

And much much more..

• 291 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:30 PM EST

First, I refer you to: G.E.M.S.

Then, I'll refer you to: SSME and Optimizer Textures especially if you're going to really retexture your game and start downloading a lot of overhauls.

• 79 posts
    February 1, 2014 2:37 PM EST

Essentially you can turn your Vanilla Skyrim experience into something like this:

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:39 PM EST

Interesting. Very interesting. And apparently, my computer would be able to run it on the highest settings. Could someone confirm that to me or give me your opinion? 

Also, thank you both for your replies. 

• 79 posts
    February 1, 2014 3:43 PM EST

More than easily :)

Though I would probably recommend you overclocking your processor to 4.0 or above

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 2, 2014 2:43 PM EST

Another question. Regarding temperature now. (I'm posting on celsius)

I downloaded some progams to verify the temperature of the hardware and the cabinet/overall system, and downloaded the demo of Napoleon: Total War to see how all would behave in an intensive game like Napoleon and Shogun 2.
    Turns out: One of the cores of the CPU reached a maximum of 72°C and minimum of 40°C, while the other cores reach a maximum of 68°C, 71°C and 67°C and minimum of 38°C, 38°C and 39°C. All of this with the stock cooler.
    The GPU reached 79° and had a minimum of 31°C.
    Overall, the system was stable between 28°C and 56°C, however, at certain point, it reached 62°C.
    Again, all of this while in game. While browsing, the system is stable at 28°C, and the processor's temperature stable between 43°C and 47°C.

Remembering that down here in Brazil it's summer, and it's been a really hot one.

So, my question is, do I have to urgently change the CPU cooler and add another one for the system, or should I be fine for like 2 or 3 months, with no worries?

I'm planning on playing NTW, S2TW and probably Skyrim (In the short term) for the record. The temperature in my city is expected to remain the same until at least the end of the week (Around 30° C - 32° C, never less than 20°. So never less than 26° or something, since I don't trust in the forecast).

• 79 posts
    February 2, 2014 2:53 PM EST

It would be advisable to ditch stock cooler if you care about your CPU. No good would come if you accidentally fried your system while gaming. This applies more so in the summer months as well as if you plan on taking full advantage of your CPU (ie Overclocking it).

Also, in regards to odd temperature readings, perhaps you should reapply your paste the heat shouldn't vary so drastically.

• 12 posts
    February 2, 2014 3:01 PM EST

If you have wanted to try a completely immersive playthough you can add frostfall. Frostfall, realistic needs and diseases, wet and cold, cloaks of skyrim. with those three you have to make sure you are fed and hydrated or risk starving/dehydrating to death. You can freeze to death if you do not keep warm during the harsh cold. Needless to say many of the expansion mods that rival even the current DLC . Various overhauls like SKYRE that completely redo the perk system. Just so much haha. I'm currently building my gaming pc, and these will be among the first I add. You can check out the various youtube LP'ers that run modded skyrim for a look, 'Gopher' is my personal favorite. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 2, 2014 3:02 PM EST

Yes, I'm planning on changing the stock cooler, however, is it urgent/extremely necessary or could I wait for a while?

Regarding the heat, it's not that it constantly varies like that, it's just the minimum and maximum registered. 

And for now, I'm not planning on overclocking it. Just when I change the CPU cooler.

• 79 posts
    February 2, 2014 3:10 PM EST

It's best to get it done and out of the way asap. Think of your computer like a car, your car is fitted with the best everything, engine, carburetors, wheels, etc. however the thing is the one thing your car lacks is a matching exhaust pipe. If you tried to go full throttle or even half way to full throttle you'll end up damaging your engine and what not, in order to prevent that you'll need to replace that exhaust pipe and get a bigger/ much better one.

It's the same with your CPU cooler, and you'll need to upgrade your ventilation system for your CPU or run the risk of damaging your computer.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 2, 2014 3:20 PM EST

Thanks, I'll make sure to check it out.