Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Worst

• 159 posts
    October 14, 2013 6:32 AM EDT

Now we all know we do a lot of things in videogames many of the things probably morally conflicting in real life. So now I want know what's the  worst thing YOU have done in a video game that YOU perceive as bad or evil   in  a videogame   and what game were you playing when you did the deed? any feedback Is great.

• 159 posts
    October 14, 2013 6:41 AM EDT

true but some things we know are bad like in gta if you just randomly run over pedestrians for no reason in real life no matter how you look at it that's a no no or bad!  

• 17 posts
    October 14, 2013 7:50 AM EDT

Normally i choose to play lawful good characters in almost every RPG.

My worst two things were blowing up Megaton in Fallout 3, and letting the council in Mass Effect 1 die. :/

• 856 posts
    October 14, 2013 1:58 PM EDT
    • 140 posts
    October 14, 2013 2:09 PM EDT

I also agree with Rune...there is such a thing as natural law, which may inform other "systems" but is independent of them.

When discussing in game events, even Skyrim has its own version of good and evil (what do you earn bounty for, etc?)  One may play as an individual who feels no culpability for those actions, but that does not mean that those actions do not have a value placed upon them.

To answer Drakon's question, many actions I complete in-game can be conflicting.  Do I have the option of dragging an entire bandit camp into the Jarl's hold and placing them in prison?  No, so I follow the law of the land and end up killing them.  Most Daedric quests I complete are conflicting, which is why I have a hard time devising the right character to complete them.  I have yet to complete the Dark Brotherhood, as I do not have the "right" character to play for it.  Those choices are tough enough as it is because playing a complete psychopath is not entertaining for me.  The ones that have some moral grey areas are challenging enough...

• 1483 posts
    October 14, 2013 2:38 PM EDT

I have to disagree with you Rune. The act can be considered evil on our planet, our society because of all history and genetic memory and experience, but it can be perfectly normal for alien species with different physiology and morale. 

• 661 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:14 PM EDT

Evil is the creative idea that one uses to indulge themselves in childish fantasies, or a tool used by those who wish to judge others. If you want pure fucking evil, look at the US government. The biggest Drug Cartel in the world, producer and financier of many small wars that ravage third world countries, and I won't forget this.

Destroyer of civilizations!

I have no clue of how much evil I have done. I did so much shit that I can't remember if it was for good or bad.

• 661 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:16 PM EDT

Letting the Council die was Evil? It was a sacrifice that needed to be made. That council didn't accept humans at all. So I had to prove to them who the real defender of the galaxy is.

• 856 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:30 PM EDT
    • 81 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:31 PM EDT
    The only thing I can remember is burning Amaranthine in Dragon Age Origins Awakening.
    • 856 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:33 PM EDT

Usually I play 'good' characters but I usually play one or two evil characters in each game ( <5% of my total characters). I guess the most evil thing that I've done in a computer game is nuking Megaton.   (If evil can be applied to a computer game, since no one is actually killed - only a great many electrons are inconvenienced)

• 1913 posts
    October 14, 2013 3:38 PM EDT
    Yes they did, if they didn't, they would have never let a human in as a spectre.
    • 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:20 PM EDT

''Evil'' doesn't exist outside of the Human mind.

• 490 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:23 PM EDT

You only say that is evil because you say that is evil. As in, "from your human mind".

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:26 PM EDT

It's perfectly normal for them. We both consider it evil, but we're both Human.

I wonder how many animals have a sense of something being really wrong, and I don't mean wrong just as in 'hurting another is bad', but a sense of something being truly against all reason and what makes them, them. Damnit, I'm too tired, this is badly worded..

I suppose primates may have something like that? Dolhpins and whales are both really intelligent. Dogs have lived alongside us for a looong time, and they're intelligent too. Would be amazing if they picked up something like this.

• 739 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:27 PM EDT

Sounds tasty...

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:29 PM EDT

You read my damned mind, mate.

9gag has rotten my brainz..

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:30 PM EDT

I don't think so. It requires amazing intelligence for them come up with something like being evil.

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:37 PM EDT

Things like that and pecking orders aren't really moral codes.

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:42 PM EDT

Some intresting articles about morality, and if animals have it:

• 490 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:43 PM EDT

Respect? More like fear. An alpha male is an alpha male because it is generally the strongest of the pack, so the subordinate others are fearful and submissive. A wolf doesn't hang back out of respect lol.

"His fur is so shiny, I'ma let him finish eating cause he so cool."

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:44 PM EDT

There's respect, but that respect is won through fear and blood.

Wich is why, once an alhpa male becomes old, other members of the group fight him for his place, sometimes even killing him.

• 490 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:49 PM EDT

That is not respect. There is no substantiated evidence that a wolf will fight for their leader...

First, I would argue it is the alpha male's job to fight first and protect his pack. That is his "job". If he dies or cannot complete that task to survive, he will be replaced.

Second, I see where you might think this is "respect", but you are putting a misnomer onto something that is something evolutionary. Wolves as social animals are not using respect to survive, they are using primal survival instincts and skills to live and continue to live.

• 966 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:52 PM EDT

They're all like family.

Just because you don't like your brother, would you let some guys beat him up? Or even kill him? Ofcourse not.

Even if not family, just a small group, all you have is eachother, just because you don't like the guy in charge, would you let him die? Animals do have emotions, and animals like wolves very well realise that a group needs a leader, if the leader is the strongest, all is fine. This is not anything like morality though.

• 490 posts
    October 14, 2013 4:53 PM EDT

Ben, again, this is not respect in the sense that you know.

Wolves may not always realize their power in numbers. It is not the same in all situations. Some submissive pack members may "challenge" the alpha and win, some will lose. Given this, the submissive and alpha wolves both have instinctual motives that recognize the best possible survivability of the pack as a whole.

If the one dude is stronger, the submissive wolf is either 1) easy to follow due to genetically weaker convictions in aggressiveness or 2) lost (sometimes their lives) in fighting for this leader role.