Forums » General Gaming

Lore friendly mods for Skyrim?

• 14 posts
    May 5, 2013 2:32 AM EDT

I'm moving from 360 to PC, and the number of mods available is staggering. So, I'm looking for lore friendly mod suggestions. I'll probably get Immersive Armors, but I'm still looking for a good weapons pack. The main thing I'm after is a good body/face replacer- ideally a non-nude legit looking one( not overly glamorized, and one that can make a young character look young and old look old). Any other mod suggestions for a hard-core role player?  

• 291 posts
    May 5, 2013 3:30 AM EDT

Heavy Armory - New Weapons  is a good mod for that.

I also recommend XCE - Xenius Character Enhancement.  It's not a body replacer, but it improves all textures relating to the body, resulting in more accurate looking NPCs.

And of course, you'll hear a round chorus of the following:  FootprintsWet and ColdFrostfall

• 1483 posts
    May 5, 2013 6:31 AM EDT
    Check out http://www.skyrimgems.com/ It's a categorised compilation of good lore-friendly mods from both Steam Workshop and Skyrim Nexus.
    • 291 posts
    May 5, 2013 12:27 PM EDT

Just as a note.  If you end up using Frostfall and Climates of Tamriel - Winter Edition, prepare for your game to be a lot harder.  Especially as a heavy armor user (most heavy armors are not very insulating against cold).  I'm freezing to death half the time! :|

• May 5, 2013 1:20 PM EDT

Going for the PC... good choice :)

You can look most of these up on Skyrim Nexus or Steam Workshop:

Basic Human Needs (recommended)
    Deadly Dragons (very popular, highly recommended)
    Hypothermia (very popular)
    Roosters at Dawn
    Heavy Armor - New Weapons
    Realistic Running Speed
    Varied Guards (mostly changes their helmets)
    Legionettes (more female guards and Legionaires)
    Cloaks of Skyrim (works with Hypothermia, highly recommended as well)

There's a few more hardcore realism mods but these are the few basic ones that are so simple they don't actually feel like mods in game.

• 4 posts
    May 5, 2013 3:29 PM EDT

If you are going to get immersive armors you should also check out hoths other mod Immersive weapons

• 14 posts
    May 5, 2013 6:13 PM EDT

Shouldn't be a problem here. I prefer the warmer looking lite armors anyway (favorite is the full fur, but it's nearly useless on anything above expert). 

• 14 posts
    May 5, 2013 6:35 PM EDT

Thanks for the input! Frostfall looks perfect -less than a week after getting the game, I was wishing for something like this! Can't believe I waited this long to go to PC (oh well, the wallet dictated that one). Does Frostfall affect NPCs? That fur skirt wearing argonian bandit in the Pale just doesn't fit! 

XCE is the only face/body mod recommended so far. Any others that are worth consideration or is this the only/best one that fits the criteria in the original post? 

• 14 posts
    May 5, 2013 7:53 PM EDT

Can anyone identify this http://barbarella.deadendthrills.com/imagestore/theelderscrollsvskyrim/1024/gorillatactics.jpg backpack? It looks like a legit way to hotkey potions/poisons -retreat a short distance from battle, use potion/poison, and reenter battle. Also, any way to have my one-handed weapon and bow equipped on my character at the same time?

• 291 posts
    May 5, 2013 8:10 PM EDT

Frostfall does not affect NPCs.  Only the PC.  However, Wet and Cold does force NPCs to wear appropriate wear for the weather.

• 291 posts
    May 5, 2013 8:13 PM EDT

Yes, that's the Sabre Gear Backpack.  Frostfall makes use of it as well as a number of other mods.

Yes, there is.  You'll need Armed to the Teeth.  That will equip any weapon you have set up to your character's body.

• 14 posts
    May 5, 2013 8:20 PM EDT

Awesome! The PC should arrive within a week -its gonna be a long week!

• 14 posts
    May 6, 2013 3:33 AM EDT

Which is a better follower mod -AFT or UFO?

• 291 posts
    May 6, 2013 5:55 PM EDT

Just depends on what you prefer.  They're both equally good.  I prefer UFO because it's more hands off.  I don't like AFT's giant list of dialogue menus as I find that tedious.  However, AFT is great if you're really particular about managing every aspect of your followers.