Forums » Elder Scrolls

Oblivion or Skyrim?

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:33 AM EDT

Something has been gnawing at me for a multitude of years, and I think you people will provide interesting arguments with this. First of, do people still give any shits avout Oblivion? I think its one of the best games ever made. I dont think anybody talks about it anymore. Should it stay that way? This segways into my main question though, is Oblivion better the Skyrim or vice versa. And...I cant give you an answer. In my mind they are both amazing and I know im cheating but they have the same levels of awesomeness in my mind. If people get pissed at that, well I have good reasons so yeah, I can defend myself. WITH WORDS! Anyway, post what you think, maybe we can finish this once and for all. Then again you might no care at all in which case...why are you here?

Post and tell me what you think. Looking forward to seeing your comments!

• 1913 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:42 AM EDT
    Lots of people still love oblivion, no one is going to forget about it anytime soon. Better than skyrim? Determines by who the person you are asking is... I like Skyrim more than oblivion, some may like oblivion more
    • 708 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:46 AM EDT

An argument I've often made is that Morrowind was a clearly different game from Oblivion, while Skyrim was a bit like 'Oblivion but better'.

I still play Oblivion from time to time - I've got a claymore-wielding spellsword going at the moment, but Skyrim just has a lot more depth to character advancement. Oblivion still has plenty of great mods out there, and it's still very much worth playing! I do have to say I prefer Skyrim though.

• 365 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:02 AM EDT

'Oblivion or Skyrim?' This guys trying to start a war? :P Only joking. Morrowind FTW! Skyrim is awesome too.

• 739 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:07 AM EDT

For many people here Oblivion was their first ES experience and that's something that stays with you when you move to the next title...

Many that played Morrowind when it was more current felt let down by Oblivion because much of the depth was scrapped and replaced with better gameplay. People also shouted about Skyrim because it catered for the console marketplace leaving pc players feeling a little betrayed.

People always have something to complain about and Bethesda must find it really hard to create games that exceed expectations time and time again...

My personal opinion is that Skyrim is much better than Oblivion.

• It's got a better atmosphere, much darker.
    • The interface is more attractive and the cartoon icons are nowhere to be seen.
    • The gameplay is more engaging
    • There are no dread zombies
    • The perk system is absolutely awesome
    • Levelling your character is streamlined so you don't have to worry about multipliers for stats.
    • The graphics are better
    • The npc's behaviour and look is more appealing
    • You can be a proper necromancer
    • You can craft items and personalise them with enchantments
    • ANY armor set in the game can reach the armor cap meaning you aren't stuck in daedric armor by game end (this is a big +1 for me, it's a superb change)
    • You can be a proper assassin thanks to the assassins blade perk...
    • Dragons!!!

When I compare the two games I see two very different things, it's almost unfair to compare Oblivion to Skyrim...  

• 365 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:12 AM EDT

It seems like Mason wrapped this discussion up pretty bloody well! 

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:36 AM EDT

In response to Mason, well would you EVER call Oblivion "bad"? In my mind, I still think its a damn good game. Though yes, it's very flawed. I must admit that. With a mod though it could be fixed and spruced up *COUGH COUGH MOD MAKERS GET ON IT COUGH COUGH*! I still play it and love it. BTW- thanks for saying people still make mods for it Ponty. That was one of the reasons I posted it!

• 1913 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:42 AM EDT
    I would say the leveling system was atrocious and whoever came up with it is a terrible person... But other than that, no, it wasn't bad
    • 739 posts
    May 4, 2013 9:47 AM EDT

No, I wouldn't call Oblivion bad...

But when I'd finished it, I'd finished it. I felt no desire to go back to it. Oblivion and me weren't compatible, I'd been spoiled by my Morrowind pedigree and it was going to take something much more immersive to hook me, something like Skyrim.

I've often described Oblivion as Morrowinds 'Arcade Mode'...all the details stripped back so you're forced to enjoy it purely for the gameplay, but when your $1 is spent you walk away feeling a little empty...

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 10:33 AM EDT

Matter of opinion really with this. I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim in SOME, NOTE SOME, regards. Honestley, I like the DB more in Oblivion. The quests there are thought out and special. Did you see anything like the quest with the Laugurwine Blade quest in  Skyrim? Or the quest where you smash the dudes head in with a bear head? No quests like that in Skyrim. Skyrims Theives guild is 1,000 times better though. Also, in my mind, Oblivion has more unique quests. Do you see quests in Skyrim like "Through A Nightmare,Darkly"? Where you go in a dream and complete quests in a guys mind? Both games have very strong aspects and bad aspects. Agreed?

• 409 posts
    May 4, 2013 10:44 AM EDT
    Note that I started with Skyrim and have went back and put hours into both Oblivion and Morrowind. I think that overall Oblivion is a great game but is the weakest link of the last 3 TES games. Now I`m not going to get into comparing Morrowind to much because it is not being asked about. Oblivion did some things right and it did some things wrong. For the right: Oblivion did guilds better than Skyrim. You can go ahead and argue with me but it's true. When I play guilds in Oblivion I feel a sense of achievement because I dont go from the new guy to leader in a matter of hours with no advancement in between. An example of this would be the companions. I went from "new blood" to "circle" to "harbinger" with only a few quests in between new blood and circle then circle to harbinger kind of quickly but maybe thats just me. In Oblivion with say.... the arena (I love the arena) it took a while to go from Pit dog to Champion and I could feel it getting harder all the time through, the same could be said with the dark brotherhood. I also disliked in Skyrim how a warrior that gets taught 1 spell at the beginning of the college of winterhold quest line never has to use a spell again, but in Oblivion joining the mages guild made a lot more sense (if a little annoying) where I had to receive recommendations from every mage guild hall in cyrodiil and so joining made me feel a lot more accomplishment. I also like the dialogue options in Oblivion where I could go talk to somebody and they were more likely to have dialogue than in Skyrim. I also feel that the magic system was dumbed down in Skyrim compared to Oblivion like the "off the shelf" magic system. I agree with Mason that it sucks not being able to build a proper necromancer in Oblivion but there were a lot more spells in conjuration and that was great for RP (unless you want to play a necromancer but with the Mages guild story line I could see how it would be hard to get those sort of spells)I could go on about these things but you get the point.

Skyrim did a lot of things better though. Skyrim (like Mason said) has a better atmosphere its less sunny and cheerful and more cold and serious, so is the nature of Skyrim itself. I will not go into the mechanics because those are arguable. I feel like Skyrim had a good medium of Morrowind immersiveness and Oblivion simplification to things that did not need to be difficult. I am not going to go into how Skyrim is better because I dont know where to start and most points have been made above.
    • 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 11:14 AM EDT

I agree with pretty much everything sir. Also, WHERE IS MY ARENA IN SKYRIM! I know theres like 40 mods that add it, but I'm a X-Box player so yeah. It does take a lot more time to level up in the guilds. Also, you kinda get better rewards in Oblivion for the guilds. I salute you good sir, and your sexy mustache! *wink*

• 409 posts
    May 4, 2013 11:17 AM EDT
    I dont know why there is no Arena in Skyrim! I am also an xbox player so I know the pain..... I love the guilds in Oblivion, right now I am planning on doing the entirety of the thieves, darkbrotherhood, and mages guild with my current sneaky mage vampire character.
    • 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 11:43 AM EDT

Thieves Guild isint good in my mind. DB is awesome though! BTW-if you're a sneaky mage assassin guy, heres a tip. Go to Bruma. Find "J'Ghasta's House". Break in, and go in the basement. Go to the desk and pick the lock on the keg. CONSPIRACY AND GOOD ARMOR!

Also, do the bonus stuff for the DB. You get really good shit from it. Have fun with the guilds and tell me how it goes!

• 409 posts
    May 4, 2013 3:33 PM EDT
    I am not far in the thieves guild, I am still getting reccomendations for the mages guild, and I am around half way through the dark brotherhood. I figure if I do each one at a time I should get the best gear during the last one I do ( going to do the mages guild last since everything is leveld, I want good magic gear)
    • 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 3:59 PM EDT

then do what i said, the thing in Bruma. It fortifys quite a few things invloving magic and being a sneaky man. Its basically Lucien Lechance's robes. They're good prety early on.

• 409 posts
    May 4, 2013 4:44 PM EDT
    He uses light armor though, so are these robes then?
    • 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 4:53 PM EDT

Yeah they're robes. Dont remember if it gives you an armor rating, but yes, they're robes.

• 952 posts
    May 4, 2013 5:12 PM EDT

Morrowind Skyrim because it will have both Skywind and Skyblivion and Andoran and Enderal.

• 952 posts
    May 4, 2013 5:14 PM EDT

How are dragons any fun? I think they're even more annoying than BEARZ. They seriously are a reason for me to load an autosave and hope I don't encounter them on a second try to get through an area, that's how annoying they are to me.

• 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 5:38 PM EDT

Wait dafauq are you talking about?! How are you talking about Daggerfall and Morriwind or something?!

• 409 posts
    May 4, 2013 6:17 PM EDT
    I love skyrim because it was my first RPG but I have been playing some morrowind and I gotta say that it's pretty close. Not to say Oblivion isn't great but the others are better.
    • 38 posts
    May 4, 2013 7:08 PM EDT

Lol, at the moment I'm running the Songbird class build and am just watching you people chat. I find it funny for some reason...

P.S- Songbird is a badass build!

• 365 posts
    May 4, 2013 7:16 PM EDT

We know...It got showcased as well. It's also done by the same author (Zach) that made the Sternguard, one of my favorite top 10 builds.

Which can be viewed on my page.

• 36 posts
    May 4, 2013 8:07 PM EDT

I love Skyrim and Oblivion both but I have to say that Oblivion is way better when it comes to guilds (except the thieves guild), quests, and unique weapons.  Skyrim has few actually unique weapons and it really bothers me.  Sure the weapon might have a fancy name but it seems like there is maybe only 10 unique looking weapons in Skyrim that aren't daedric artifacts.  I just felt that Bethesda got lazy and made almost all their "unique" weapons in Skyrim a Steel or Ancient Nordic weapon.