Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why are the Imperials so tan?

• 14 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:22 PM EDT

They used to be all different shades but your common Imperial in Skyrim is very tan with dark hair and eyes. Aren't the Colovions supposed to look more nordic? 

• 291 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:27 PM EDT

Supposedly, yes, though breeding with other races along the Hammerfell border may have introduced some darker skin tones.  But, from a development standpoint, I think Bethesda was going for an olive skin Mediterranean look to really drive home the idea: "Imperials are like Romans!!"

• 14 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:29 PM EDT

It makes it hard to justify RP myself a white italian man with no hint of dark skin tone what so ever. All my "kin" are just spending to much time in the tanning beds I guess.

• 856 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:48 PM EDT

Imperials are not a 'race'.  Imperials are both Colovians and Nibenese.  To complicate matters further the Nibenese are not one race either, but rather different people formally enslaved by the Ayleids.  Because they are from many different cultures, one can assume that skin tones varied from people to people.  This may help explain some of the 'darker' skin tones in the genes.

Source:  The Imperial Divide...by Vix (of course)

(Then again, maybe it's from being in the sun too long without sunscreen  )

• 14 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:49 PM EDT

Makes it easier for me, I will be a Colovian and for some reason all the other in game "Imperials" are Nibenese.

• 291 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:52 PM EDT

Which really doesn't make any sense as most Imperials in Skyrim should be of Colovian descent since they inhabit the northern and northwestern half of Cyrodiil.  I suppose there might be a few Nibenese in there somewhere, but they're probably not the majority of Imperials you meet (given that most are in the military).

• 856 posts
    March 25, 2013 8:59 PM EDT

Military likes to shift people around a lot.  It is easier to enforce policy in an area if you aren't from (and therefore have friends) in that region.  So it would make sense, militarily speaking, to send soldiers from the south to the north to quell a rebellion.

• March 25, 2013 9:18 PM EDT

Yeah, Kyrielle and RuneRed sum it up pretty well. I'd add that they're different from Nords in the same way that Bosmer and Altmer are distinct races while sharing many physical features. Personally I'm glad they look different from Nords and even Bretons, otherwise it would be very hard to tell the races apart. Hell, I have a difficult enough time as it is. At least with Bretons you can tell because of their names, and because they're very short.